Speer TnT Bullets

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
mvpal
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Encore

Speer TnT Bullets

Post by mvpal »

Hi all,

My first post on the forum.

I ended up with 500 32gr TNT-Green (Speer #1020) bullets and have bee looking all over the place to find good loading data for them.

My dad and I both have contact Speer with no help from them which I find very odd because they have load data for all of their other bullets.

Anyone here have any experience with them or able to find load data?

-------
Thompson Encore .204
Thomson Encore .204
"Do you know anyone with old rusted out military vehicles laying around going to scrap?"
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Re: Speer TnT Bullets

Post by 204cat »

never had them but i would suggest starting load as the 32g vmax and work your way up. they are 204s right ? find what works best in your rifle.

edit
i see them. http://www.snipercompany.com/reloading- ... 19731.html flat base hollow point nonlead.
mvpal

Post by mvpal »

That is about what I have come to.

After this post I got on the phone and got a guy from technical services on the line. I had asked many questions about any available load data. Long story short, they basically holding out for the The Speer® Bullets Reloading Manual #15. He did not specify any times of release and said this in a manor of words.

I am new to reloading relatively and always use a factory resource as a starting point. I find it sort of irresponsible of them to release a product with no data and when you call in to tech support the initial answer to the question is "we havent tested them".

I get that they are protecting data and understand. Mabey a limited data release along with the product is a solution.

On the bright side, i know I will have them when data come out.
Thomson Encore .204
"Do you know anyone with old rusted out military vehicles laying around going to scrap?"
204cat

Post by 204cat »

http://www.rugerhunting.com/204_data.php

http://www.rugerhunting.com/204_data_hornady.php

http://www.rugerhunting.com/204_data_hodgdon.php

http://www.rugerhunting.com/204_data_alliant.php

this will get you started. that little button at top that says 204 load data. they accutually said "we have not tested them" ????
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

Alliant is Speers sister company under ATK and does all of Speers data testing. Go to their site and the 32gr TNT is covered with some published data. I don`t know why Speer would tell you no data was available and not direct you to Alliant. Only one powder is listed but a call to Alliants tech service should get you more.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... ?gtypeid=2
mvpal

Post by mvpal »

Thanks .204cat.

Yes the littoral response from the Speer rep after I asked "why don't you have any published load data for the .204 TnT bullets when you have it published for all the other TnT bullets made after #14" was "because we have not tested them".

For a person new to reloading I instantly had lost respect for Speer. Then i realized that there is no way they put out production bullets without testing them so after more questions he said "we have tested them however we just haven't released the data.

I feel like they are doing this in an effort to create some hype for the release of #15. It is interesting to me that they have all load data published for every TnT bullet they have made after #14 except for the .204.

I could just be naive but there has to be some reason for them not publishing.
Thomson Encore .204
mvpal

Post by mvpal »

Thanks for posting the information on Alliant Ol' Joe. I wonder why Speer didnt share that, or they just didnt think about it.

I dont see myself buying Varmint power.

Has anyone found success with it?
Thomson Encore .204
Ol` Joe

Post by Ol` Joe »

mvpal, give Alliant a call and see if they can offer more choices. They will only have data for their powders but might have something in Rx10 as example that isn`t released yet on their site. Hodgdon or Western should be able to give you starting loads for some of their powders also. Keep in mind the Speer won`t exactly the same as a Sierra as example but the starting data should be fine, you`ll just have to keep a close eye on the charges and figure your own max. That isn`t much different then you would do even with good data that includes a suggested max.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Carefully increase charge weights by .2grs at a time.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

I clicked on the Speer link and it said this about these bullets"

"These excellent varmint options use non-lead technology for great terminal performance".

Are these an all copper buller?
Ol` Joe

Post by Ol` Joe »

tpcollins wrote:I clicked on the Speer link and it said this about these bullets"

"These excellent varmint options use non-lead technology for great terminal performance".

No.
They have a powdered core similar to the Nosler "lead free", Hornady "NTX non-toxic", or Barnes "Varmite Granade".
Mad dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

Post by Mad dog »

I have had the same frustrations...anybody have anything specific from Alliant or personal experience loading these speer bullets for the 204 yet?
HeadLever
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21

Post by HeadLever »

Mad dog wrote:I have had the same frustrations...anybody have anything specific from Alliant or personal experience loading these speer bullets for the 204 yet?
I grabbed some about 5 months ago (the 39 grainers, which are not lead free) and loaded them up using 25.5gr of Benchmark. They shot pretty well (about .6" @ 100yds) out of my Cooper. Not quite as accurate as the Sierra 39 gr BK our of my gun (.4s), but they are quit a bit cheaper. I might buy another couple hundred for duty in the squirrel patch since the Sierras are getting jacked up in price. Overall, I was pleased with how they performed.
HeadLever
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21

Post by HeadLever »

tpcollins wrote:I clicked on the Speer link and it said this about these bullets"

The 39 grain TNTs contain lead. It is the 32 grain bullets that are 'green' and have to powder core.
Last edited by HeadLever on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

welcome. mv.
The 39 grain TNTs contain led. It is the 32 grain bullets that are 'green' and have to powder core.
good to know.