Ballistic plex

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Huckster

Ballistic plex

Post by Huckster »

I have a Burris FFII ballistic plex scope on my CZ 527/204. I sighted the gun in at 200 yards. The burris factory chart shows for a zero at 100 yards. My question is how far off will the hash marks be if starting with a 200 yard zero. Will the hash marks be close to the factory chart, just being a little higher than listed?

I have researched the archives here and also went through burris web site and could not figure out this answer. My local range only shoots out to 200 yards. Any real world experience with this scope??
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Ballistic plex

Post by futuretrades »

There are a lot of variables involved in the answer you are seeking. the best answer I can give you, is to go out and shoot the rifle, and see where your poi is. The hash marks, mil dots, in the scope are only a general indication of where your bullet will impact the target at any given range. I had my Leupold, VXII, with long range varmint reticle, customized by Leupold, just for my 204. I had to give them the caliber of the bullet, the weight of the bullet, the velocity it was traveling, the ballistic coefficient, the altitude, where I do most of my shooting, and even an average temp we shoot in. This system is designed to be sighted in at 100yds. This works out really well for me, because most of the time, I shoot the same bullet, at the same velocity, in the same place. Even when I went 100 miles away to a different place, to shoot, the system still worked out, because temps were about the same and the elevation was almost identical. So unless your ballistic plex is setup for the load you are shooting, it will only get you in the general area.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Futuretrades is spot on. You will not know til you actually shoot and compare them with your rifle/load/etc. Have fun checking and recording your results. Bill K :)
kjw204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Varmint

Post by kjw204 »

What u can do and it's just a suggestion is to sight it in dead on @100yds at 9 power or whatever with the center crosshare , back up to 200yds and shoot using the same center crosshare. Now hold the center crosshare on the aiming point of the target and adjust your magnification until the first mildot below center falls on your impact point. Can do that for all your yardages, print off specs and tape to scope or what ever u like.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

My little handy-dandy program on my iphone for a Burris 3-12x Ballistic-Ples reticle, with a 204 bullet going 3700 fps zeroed @ 200 yds is the following;

Cross hair; 200 yds
Next mark down; 300 yds
Next mark down; 425 yds
Next mark down; 525 yds
Top of the lower thick stadia (spelling); 637 yards.

Readings are based on scope @ MAX zoom.

HTH