Rem 700 sps varmint

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
three toes
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by three toes »

I guess my question is this, would the 700 sps varmint heavy barrel, in 204 cal be too heavy for an every day coyote rifle. I'm looking to buy a new rifle, and I just want to make sure that I make the right choices.Any or all thought's would be appreciated. Cheers
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by Bill K »

Depends on you. I have some light weight walk about rifles, then again, I also have some that are heavy barreled that I carry on occasion. Light is better, for those five miles walks in the sage, but heavy will do at times to keep them in action. :D :D Bill K
three toes

Post by three toes »

Bill thanks for your reply, I've sold big game rifles for over 25 years, but never really had anything to do with small calibers. As a wanna be coyote hunter, on a fixed budget. The 700 sps var fit the bill, but now with something to think about,I'll have to do some more research. Thanks for your input, more questions to come.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

3T, I have one (in .22-250); it is the stainless model and yes, it is a tad heavy for a walkaround rifle, but it is "do-able". I've added even a little more weight with a Bell and Carlson stock, but that doesn't stop me from lugging it around occasionally, as it's still around 10# with a scope. Plans call for replacing the stock barrel with a better aftermarket one with a slightly lighter contour; that should help. Another option for you might be the C-Z 527 Varmint, which has plenty of barrel but is still relatively light and easy to handle. In fact, that'll probably be my next .204...
three toes

Post by three toes »

R Y . Thanks for your reply, unfortunatly that C Z, up here in canada is near double the price. about 975.00 retail. You guys in states have way better prices , than we could ever hope to have. I know if we could bring guns up over the line,without all the paper work and delays, everybody could afford to shoot some nice rifles. But until that day comes , I'll just keep looking for that perfect coyote zapper, Thanks again.
mpstan
.204 Ruger Guns: None yet

Post by mpstan »

I'm looking at this rifle for BR paper punching and PD shooting, did you get one? Accuracy?
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

I don't think you'd have a problem with it. I have a Rem. VLS that's got a heavy barrel and I use it for coyote hunting a lot. I'm 63 yrs. old and it doesn't bother me much but I don't walk for miles either. The farthest is probably 1/2 mile to a stand. I shoot a lot of ground squirrels but thats usually from a bench or from the window of my SUV. I would think it would be good for prarie dogs too.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

I shopped around and found a good buy through Bud's....I bought a CZ 527 Varmint in .204 with the kevlar stock for $600.....Put a Nikon on it and use that as my carry rifle....it isn't bad at all as a carry...IF you don't use a bipod.....if you leave it on yes, its heavy......not too much so but you know you have it in your hands.....
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

three toes wrote:I guess my question is this, would the 700 sps varmint heavy barrel, in 204 cal be too heavy for an every day coyote rifle. I'm looking to buy a new rifle, and I just want to make sure that I make the right choices.Any or all thought's would be appreciated. Cheers
I just bought this exact rifle. Although I haven't mounted a scope on it yet(undecided on what to get). The rifle will mainly be a bench gun and occasional walk about. My main walkabout now has become my Savage model 11. Price was right on the Rem and I guess I was looking for a 700 in 204 :lol: .
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
dead meat
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka t3

Post by dead meat »

Three toes i had a sps varmint for a year or so and sold it to my son and bought a tikka t3 lite for coyote hunting, both where 204. The sps is to heavy when walking in snow calling coyotes, i'm getting on in years and out of shape as well so i like a lighter rifle. The sps has a slight edge at the bench with the proper reloads. and both similar in price at the time.