tubbs finish system

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

tubbs finish system

Post by Robert harrel »

i used these in my 22-250 i saw improvements from 3 to 4" groups to about .75" with just about any bullet powder combination also in my ruger m77 204 went from 1 1/2" to .75" with some loads.i guess my question is are these as hard on the throat as posted in past posts
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Do you mean David Tubb's Final Finish System?

Where did you find it in .204?
Robert harrel

Post by Robert harrel »

i believe it was midway but i will try to find out i do know they were 39 gr blitz king so i had fun shooting dogs while cleaning bbl every 10 rnds looked in midway cat. did not see them i might have ordered them from tubbs website
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Robert: The short answer to your question posted above is "yes". This is basically a Fire Lapping System, and as such, abrades the bore/throat with the abrasive to smooth it out gradually with diminshing grades of grit impregnated into the bullets.

Good system for rough factory barrels, but not for custom hand-lapped tubes.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Robert harrel

Post by Robert harrel »

thanks that what i was thinking but i still got a rem. 204 that never did shoot that good even after countless rounds thru it so i think it wont hurt to shoot a batch down it .
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

Be careful with them. My sub moa gun was about a 12 moa gun while shooting those final finish bullets. I had never missed the target before. After seeing that, I moved up for the rest of them.
ken sage

Post by ken sage »

Robert, You are correct. Midway does not carry the Final Finish system for the 20 cal. It has to be ordered from them directly at 806-323-9488.

I purchased an Encore Pro Hunter barrel in 204 that shot really well, but I had a heck of a time cleaning it. I used the special instructions for good barrels, which uses bullets 3-5 and I maintained the accuracy and now cleans easily with Butch's or Shooters Choice. When I first purchased the barrel it would only clean with Sweet's or JB bore shine. The kit's expensive but save me alot of time.
hunterapp

Tubbs final finish in .20 cal

Post by hunterapp »

Below is listed a link for a outlet for the 20 cal new barrel in a box claim.

http://www.superiorshootingsystems.com/ ... group=1625
Robert harrel

Post by Robert harrel »

rayfromtx you are right about being careful the .224 cal. is a 80 gr bullet and wont stabilize in a 1in 12 i saw perfect keyholeing @ 30 yards but the .20 shot very well
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
hunterapp

Post by hunterapp »

Funny this should come up now. I had ordered a box of the 20 cal for my 204 CZ American, which has been extremely finicky what she, is being fed. And another box was purchased for a 223, which was not meeting my expectations. Both of these guns were requiring more time than I thought they should to clean. What do you know? they showed up today.

The 204 set will be less aggressive than the .224 no doubt, simply due to the reduced bearing area of the 39 gr SBK. I have loaded & cycled each through their respective barrel per instructions. Nothing complicated about the process.

Early observations are nothing but encouraging. I had some factory ammo, which was not shooting well from either firearm. Accuracy with this ammo showed dramatic improvement in each case. It was getting to late to use the F1 so I never was able to make any comparison on velocity. Hopefully the weather will cooperate tomorrow, allowing the use of the chronograph.

I was disappointed with the 204 set in the regard of bullets used. These bullets were no doubt factory seconds or rejects. The blemishes were horrible on some bullets.

Now as I understand the concept of this process we are not looking for accuracy from this ammo. As such as long as one has a good bearing surface the bullets should serve there purpose just fine. Given the above understanding I still rejected 4 of the bullets provided.

Never less, I think I will be pleased with the end result. Looks like each barrel will be considerably better accuracy wise & easier to clean.
Robert harrel

Post by Robert harrel »

it may not make accucary any better i also use these in my howa 1500 223 and groups open up a little bit i might be able to load a load it likes better but have to many loaded up right now
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
hunterapp

Post by hunterapp »

In this case everything I try in this firelaped CZ American, in 204 is shooting better than before. The best-case scenario being the 40-grain V-max loads shooting 5 shot groups less than ¾” w 15 mph cross wind. In the past 2 to 3” groups, was the best I experienced with the 40 grain V-max in this barrel.

The accuracy is quite a bonus. As my primary goal was quicker and easier bore clean up. Everything worked out as well as I hoped.

The set comes with steps 10 bullets for each sequence, with a finer lapping compound for each step. Instructions indicate that one may wish to skip step one & two if your barrel is shooting ok.

If I were to have done anything differently I may have skipped these 1st two steps. Worst-case scenario Ill be building a 20 VarTarg sooner.