Brand new reloader here, questions on the dies, confused.

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Brand new reloader here, questions on the dies, confused.

Post by Big_Bullseye »

I have been contemplting reloading in the past few months and I am finally ready to take the challenge and ge started aquiring my equipment and doing some reading in some of the various loading manuals. I plan to start ordering some of my reloading equipment today and I am getting my list together and now I am at the die section and I am very confused.

For instance for .204 ruger I have the following choices in the catalog, these are all Redding dies which I think I am going to standardize on if they work well for me;

2 die set - $32,49

3 die set $53.99

Type S match bushing 2 die set $121.99

Type S match bushing neck sizer 3 die set $142.99

Competition bushing neck sizer 3 die set $181.99

See where I am a little confused? What are all the differences in these die? For some background info I will be reloading .17 Fireball, .204 Ruger, 5.56 & .270WSM for starters. I am addicted to accuacy yet I do not compete. I will be shooting at PD's with three of the four calibers I mention above and will be putting holes in paper quite often with friends at a few of ur private little ranges we have set up on our pieces of property.

On Glennasher's advice I am going with a single stage press to start with and I know nothing about the brands other than what I have read. I think I am down to either the Hornady or the Redding press. On the redding there are two, the 700 ultrmag single stage which they say is ideal for oversize cartriges which is the opposite of what I am loading so maybe the big boss is better suitd to my needs.

anyway I would like to hear some feedback on the dies.

Thanks in advance.
Doveryai no Proveryai
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Brand new reloader here, questions on the dies, confused.

Post by acloco »

The are several different styles of dies - full length, neck sizing, bushing neck sizing, competition bushing neck sizing (micrometer adjuster on top of a regular bushing neck sizing die).....

From your post, I would recommend...

Forster Co Ax press - NO shell holders needed - this alone will save you $5-$7 per caliber that you reload for. Press helps align the brass with the die - the die is allowed to float a touch and so does the base of the shell. When pressure is applied, they will be aligned. Versus other types of presses with shell holders, if the coencentricity is off, then so will your brass. This press will size everything up to 50 BMG, with little force needed by you.

Hornady 2 die set - these use a sliding sleeve to help align the brass, bullet, and seating stem. You can add a micrometer adjuster to the seating die for $22. I regularly get 0.0002" to 0.0005" runout on brass when sized with Hornady dies in the Forster press.

Redding competition bushing neck sizing die would be my choice of bushing neck sizing die.
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

OK just placed a semi huge order with Midway USA and I still need a few more things but we are getting close.

Ordered the Forster CO AX (thank you acloco) and the following three piece die sets;

17 fireball
204 ruger
223 rem
270wsm

RCBS Vibratory case tumbler
RCBS chargemaster 1500
Forster cross bolt de locing rings (set of 12)
Powder funnels
reloading trays
MTM ammo boxes
Hornady reloading manual

Now what else do I need? Help me out here please.

Primer tool? What to get here? Forster makes a bench mount that didn't get the best reviews as it relates to primer feeding. Handheld?

Case Trimmer?

Case lube?

Tools? Dial Calipers? Micometers?

Brass & Bullets & powder will be last.....

Any help with reccomendations with these last items would be great.
Doveryai no Proveryai
madracer

Post by madracer »

Primer tool= i dont think you can get any better value for money than a lee hand priming tool

case lube = imperial sizing wax, its the best ive used, easy to clean off and lasts ages.

over here we are limited more than the US guys so ill leave powder, and other consumables to others.

im not super sure of the other items and so i dont steer you wrong ill let some one else recommend those
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Big-Bullseye, here are a few things i use.
case trimer - redding trim dies, But i don't think they will work in a co-ax press.
lube- Imperial dry neck lube & case sizing wax and the rcbs lube for full lenght sizing case's.
i have a good set of dial calipers from a auto. store.
a rcbs case master gaging tool, for checking run out. But i would get the one sinclair tool if i was getting a new one.
I have a sinclair case neck sorting tool for checking necks befor and after triming the neck if you want to get in to that.
There are alot of good tools out there, But its up to you how fare you wan't to with this reloading thing. Have fun, Lee
JD11
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter low profile

Post by JD11 »

I just bought Redding dies last week because my new 204 is a new caliber for me. I just got the 2 die set, the neck sizing die and the seating die. #913681 is the stock number from Midway, $31.49 for both of them. By the invoice, #82287 may be the Redding number. I've loaded and shot about 50+/- rounds with them so far, breaking in the barrel, etc, and their fit and finish is excellent. They appear to do the job, since without any fine-tuning of my loads, after zeroing my scope, my one and only 3 shot group was one ragged hole roughly 1/4" outside to outside with my new Sav. 12LP.
CooperRandall
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix - DTECH AR15

Post by CooperRandall »

This is the advice I've gotten in the past 6 months or so. I've filtered out some and LISTENED to some very serious shooters who are accuracy fanatics.

Press - Harrel, Forster or RCBS in that order

Case trimmer - Wilson. Amazing!!!!!!!!!... but slow

Dies - That's one I've never got a consistent answer on.

K & M tapered small mouth mouth reamer

K & M flash hole deburrer/uniformer

Sinclair primer pocket uniformer with power attachment

Hand primer - Sinclair

Lube - One Shot or whatever works for you

Tumbler - RCBS Vibratory case tumbler

Scale/powder measure - RCBS chargemaster 1500

Brass - new and sort within reason

Bullets - Sierra, Berger and Hornaday. Experiment (that's part of the fun)

Powder - This website is full of great knowledge and great insight on this. They will all tell you ----- BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps a little.
acloco

Post by acloco »

"Primer tool? What to get here? Forster makes a bench mount that didn't get the best reviews as it relates to primer feeding. Handheld?" Definitely go with a handheld. I like the Lee and RCBS (especially the new RCBS - NO shell holders!!)

Case Trimmer? I have owned all of them. RCBS is good. Redding is good. OLD Redding are great (trim AND inside/outside chamfer at the same time). Hornady is good - you have to use their expensive shell holders though. Wilson are good - especially when equipped as an ULTRA trimmer. My favorite - Forster. I believe I have 7 of them. About 70% of the price of any of the above and ALL of the accessories are at least 25% cheaper....and produces the same job.

Case lube? Imperial or Hornady. I use the Hornady tub on 98%. The Imperial comes out on tough jobs. I do polish the inside of new dies, from advice on Varmint Al's website. I spray the inside of the die with Hornady One Shot at that time, but you still must lube the cases.

Tools? Dial Calipers? Micometers? Harbor Freight has digital and dial calipers for $20ish (6" is PLENTY of length on calipers). Stoney Point gauge setup - worth the money (not expensive).

Go slow. Work up to the loads. KEEP ACCURATE RECORDS!!! ASK QUESTIONS!!

Oh...probably the most used item on the reload bench....several colors of Sharpie's. I write on shells when I load them, when working up loads....example - CCI 450, Sierra Blitzking 39, 24.7 Hodgdon H4895, COAL SP 2.500....will be written on the shell as 450, 39 BK, 24.7 H95, 2.5 SP (SP stands for stoney point gauge). When I load an ammo box (50 or 100 count) the front left case is the last one fired....this case has ALL of the information for the entire lot written on it. Paper will not blow away, etc, etc......semi permanent record of what is in the box.
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Great advice and input from all. The first of my equipment will start arriving tomorrow and I have to go through this thread and get te remaining items that I am missing. A few items are onback order (1500 chargemaster) which should be coming in early June. I figure by the second week of June I will be putting together my first loads.

I have a couple of local guys that are going to take me through some loads with them to get some experience and to see what it is all about. I am so excited and I look forward to this. This will be fun to expand my hobby and to hopefully improve my accuracy. No more will I wonder what these reloader guys have going on in their dungoens and laboratories. I will be one of them...... :lol: :twisted:
Doveryai no Proveryai
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I think that you will be happy with the equipment that you ordered, especially the press and chargemaster. I like my Forster case trimmer. I prefer Winchester brass over Remington. The K&M primer pocket uniformer and flash hole reamer are very good. I prefer Hornady spray on case lube. I like the Lee hand primer as it is simple and inexpensive. Once I get a load that I really like I make a dummy round, bullet seated to the proper depth, no powder or primer. I write the bullet type and weight on the side of the case. You can always put the dummy round in the press to duplicate the bullet seating depth for that round that works well in just a minute by adjusting the seating die to just touch the dummy bullet. I enjoy reloading as it is a peaceful time for me as all my other worries are gone and it gives me satisfaction to roll my own accurate bullets.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Ordered the

Forster trimmer with all the stuff I need to go with it

Lee auto prime hand primer

Siclair case neck sorting tool with fowler digital indicator

One shot spray lube

6" digital caliper

Piloted flash hole tool

lube rack & some loading blocks....

I just started getting my stuff yesterday and I am getting my gun area in the basement cleaned up and straightened. t is going to work out great.
Doveryai no Proveryai
acloco

Post by acloco »

Have you built or sequestered a bench yet? THE most important item in reloading. SOLID platform to work on.

Actually, buy the chair that YOU like and can sit/move comfortably in, then make the bench the height that goes with the chair.
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

acloco wrote:Have you built or sequestered a bench yet? THE most important item in reloading. SOLID platform to work on.

Actually, buy the chair that YOU like and can sit/move comfortably in, then make the bench the height that goes with the chair.
Well I had an area in the basement with an old school desk that I used to clean and work on my guns and I just expanded on that by adding an old computer desk and a credenza.

Here is where I am so far and I have some other deliveries coming from brown over the next week or so. I just installed two overhead flouresent lights and it should work pretty well..

and look at all this factory ammo - blah!! rubbish..... for ametuers..... :lol: See the 840 rounds of XM193 5.56 55 gr hiding back there? Wonder if the brass from Lake City Arsenal is any good? Gonna take some serious shooting to wittle that down....

Doveryai no Proveryai
acloco

Post by acloco »

LOL!

Um....I have to come clean.....you just helped me complete step 7 in the 12 steps of the reloading addiction group therapy. YOU are now a member!!

Get some sheetrock on those walls before you set up...........don't mud them....just hang the rock.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Big-Bullseye: Ahh, I can feel the excitement building all the way here in Oregon. Stuff arriving on the Brown Santa Truck, a new "Man Room/Man Cave" being set up, the promise of shiny new handloaded ammunition at hand.....very good stuff!

Not much to add, but you'll eventually want to neck size, and for that, I highly recommend Imperial Dry Neck Lube, a moly/graphite powder you just dip the neck into, size, and it wipes right off. Easy, not messy, and highly effective.

As acloco mentioned, hang some sheetrock before you get set up. It will also give you good bounce lighting, and make your work area better illuminated. Other than that, only one warning....you've got a nice clean area started, shelves with neatly stacked items.....but beware, in 20 years or less, it will resemble this bomb site/Haz-Mat Area/dungeon/mad scientist labatory that mine has evolved into:

I call it "organized chaos".....now where is that back issue I was looking for?....... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails