A little help please with Hornady O.A.L. guage

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
iKonic Status
.204 Ruger Guns: none...yet

A little help please with Hornady O.A.L. guage

Post by iKonic Status »

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I asked some of you guys a while ago if you could help me with getting started on the whole reloading thing. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and helped me out ;)

Well i've finally got all my gubbins and bits-n-bobs now all I have to do is make some ammo but i've kinda reached a bit of an unknown and was wondering if you guys could help me out once again!?!?

Problem:- I purchased the Hornady (formally Stoney Point) O.A.L. measurement kit and was trying to take the measurement for my .308 Howa but was finding it difficult to know exactly where the Lands are and if i'm pushing the bullet head too deep into it when trying to take a measurement.

I don't have the exact figures on me right now but I was getting a reading of something like 2.325 O.A.L. to the O-give (Sierra 155g Palmer). I think that it came to something like 2.85 C.O.A.L. which in my mind is far too long.

When attempting to use the Hornady O.A.L. guide i could feel the bullet head reach a point and sort of stop, 2.150 off the top of my head. I could then push it a little harder and it would then 'slide' a bit further to this 2.325 length.

On removal of the O.A.L. gauge the bullet head was not getting stuck (ie stuck in the lands which then requires removal via a cleaning rod down the barrel) which suggests that I am NOT jamming the head too far into the Lands but the C.O.A.L. just seems far too long to me!!!

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here. :chin:

Thanks

Konrad
Ruger 77/22 .22lr

Savage 12 VLP .223rem

Howa/Hogue 1500 Varmint HB .308win
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: A little help please with Hornady O.A.L. guage

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Konrad: You don't mention if this is a new barrel or an older one with many rounds down the tube. Either way, it appears you've either got a worn leade or a very shallow leade angle to the rifling, giving you a gradual taper into the lands.

If you just want to "kiss" the lands, lock down the tool as soon as you feel the start of resistence. By pushing the bullet in farther of course, you are seating it deeper into the lands. This will always raise pressure levels too.

For peak accuracy, I'd start off just kissing the lands, then try seating depths in .005" increments both farther into the lands, and away from the lands. If this rifle is for hunting, I'd suggest NOT seating into the lands, as if you ever have to remove a round from the chamber, chances are the bullet will stay in the barrel, and the case will spill powder into the action and trigger....not good.

Let us know how it goes.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

iKonic Status

Post by iKonic Status »

Rick: Thanks for the advice. ;)

The gun is relatively new, not that many rounds down the tube. I did notice that the modified.308win case was a little on the tight side when chambering and closing the bolt (I did this first off before using the O.A.L gauge properly). I did as they suggested and lightly chamfered + deburred the inside/outside of the neck to help aid the bullet fitting into the case. The bullet does fit, but is a wee bit snug, hence giving it a bit more of a forceful jab to find the lands propper. The reason why I gave it a bit of a shove is that I don't want to assume i've reached the lands but actually be a long way off due to the bullet head getting 'stuck' or prevented from going the full distance because of a tight-fit.

The rifle is purely for Target Shooting at the mo, but thanks for the heads-up on case extraction and spillage problems!!!

Would you suggest that I measure to recommended C.O.A.L. (ie 2.800) and go up/down by .005" until I start to see pressure signs or find the 'sweet spot'??

Thanks

Konrad
Ruger 77/22 .22lr

Savage 12 VLP .223rem

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Konrad: The limiting factor with overall cartridge length will be if you want to use the magazine, or just single load the rifle. If using the mag, you'll be restricted to the 2.800" length, but if you single load, you'll be able to seat the bullet where ever it wants to be for the sweet spot, as length then will not matter. Starting out using the 2.800" measurement would be a good place to start as you note.

Using seating depth increments of .005" is what I normally do to find that spot of peak accuracy. Just keep in mind that if you end up with a "jam", pressure will raise, and you'll need to adjust your powder charge accordingly to keep things safe.

When you felt the bullet first engage the lands, was the overall length more than 2.800"? Just curious here.

It sounds like you're right where you want to be, have prepared the dummy case properly, and should be punching one-holers very soon. We all know how accurate most .308's are; I hope yours is no exception. Good luck, and let us know how she shoots. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

iKonic Status

Post by iKonic Status »

Rick: Thanks for your advice and help 8)

To answer your questions, Yes I did feel the head 'engage' the Lands (well, it could have been the shallow leade as you suggested earlier) before the C.O.A.L. of 2.800" but as I said, it was more than resistance rather than a proper 'fit' if you know what I mean!?!!

Thanks for the encouragement with the gun, i mean it's a great rifle and it's already 'doing the business' with factory ammo, I just want to squeeze that much more from it using handloads.

I will go with loading to magazine length and then play from there!!!

Thanks again for your help ;)

Konrad :banana:
Ruger 77/22 .22lr

Savage 12 VLP .223rem