How many rounds?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Re: How many rounds?

Post by kenbrofox »

Phew, didn't know it would get this technical. It's all very interesting and enlightening, but i personally will start with 3 shot groups and take it from there. I'm a real novice reloader and i hope to work up to better things. Thanks again to all, for making this an interesting topic. There's nothing to beat this forum for the knowledge and goodwill. Regards, Ken. :D Ps. Saubier is brill. also.
' Pay it forward buddy '
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

jo191145,

Interesting phenomon regarding the barrel being "too" clean.

Regarding the orange streaks in the muzzle I do keep tabs on that (especially with the 6mm) because if its visible at the muzzle it has to look like a copper mine in the throat. I have quite a bit of moly around here and I have though long and hard about moly coating these bullets. For my service rifle AR's all I had to do was a through scrub and recoat every 500 rounds or so and the reason I chose 500 was to ensure the moly would not build up in the throat and cause problems later.

I use a mix of Shooter's Choice and Kroil to clean with. I use Sweets 7.62 to remove Copper after it has built up and it works reasonably well. I'm toying with the idea of trying out some others. I've heard of;

- Montana Extreme
- Barns CR-10
- Bore Tech CU+ and Carbon Remover
- Butch's Bore Shine
- KG-2 and KG-12
- Gunslik

and a host of others.

My concerns with moly is leaving it in the barrel. While I've never had a problem with the AR-15 moly barrel the weather around here is damp and I don't want any issues and recoating the barrel can be a inconvience.

Jim
iKonic Status
.204 Ruger Guns: none...yet

Post by iKonic Status »

Kenbrofox

I use the same method as OldTurtle, it seems to work the best for my needs.

I had tried Audette's ladder and it is a great system but I found it only really works if you shoot the ladder at 300 yards or more. I don't have the luxury of a 300 yard range where I can do my 'load testing', so i settled with the .2g increments and 5 shot group @ 100 yards method!

All the best

K
Ruger 77/22 .22lr

Savage 12 VLP .223rem

Howa/Hogue 1500 Varmint HB .308win
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

K, thanks for that. I was going to try 3 shot groups, but after reading all the advice, i think, i to will try Turtles method. I haven't tried any yet as i'm still awaiting my new chrono. Thanks again, Ken. :D
' Pay it forward buddy '