Flash Hole Debur Tool, w/pictures

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Flash Hole Debur Tool, w/pictures

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Here are the pictures of the smaller 17 cal. flash hole deburr tool. The 20 caliber tool will be in my hands within a week or so.This tool is made entirely of stainless steel. The knurled handle/stop will adjust up and down approximately an 1/8" for a perfect fit to your brass. This tool is built specifically for the smaller cased 17 calibers. We will have an additional tool for the longer cased .17's like the .17 remington. We made a decision to do this based on the fact that we wanted the tool to be functional as well as feel good when it was being used. We also sized the neck of the tool so that it is almost an exact fit for the .17 caliber case necks. It fits nicely with almost no slop and therefore will provide a better feel and more accurate deburring. We also built it to be chucked up in a drill and used under power. I will have prices put together very soon. Feedback is appreciated, please post and let me know what you think. Thanks
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: Flash Hole Debur Tool, w/pictures

Post by BabaOriley »

It looks like the depth is set by the case mouth. Is that right?
wirelessguy2005

yes that is correct. There is approximately an 1/8" of adjustment in the knurled handle so that you can adjust it up or down to the perfect length for your particular brass.
BabaOriley wrote:It looks like the depth is set by the case mouth. Is that right?
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

I want to say I'd rather have this tool index off the bottom of the case, but I don't know. Maybe there's a reason you chose to index off the case mouth. If it were called a "flash hole uniformer", it seems you wouldn't want to index off the case mouth, because you then depend on every case being trimmed the same to get the same depth of cut. If you index off the case bottom, it wouldn't matter what the trim length is. You're really only working on the flash hole, and it shouldn't depend on the case length. If you use the tool on a case a bit shorter than the rest, you run the risk of going too deep with the chamfer edge of the cutter. What is the diamter of the cutter btw?
wirelessguy2005

To answer your question yes there was a couple reasons that we chose to index off the case mouth instead of the bottom of the case. We feel that making a tool such as the K&M tool that uses the bottom of the case for the stop is an lesser efficient design. By shrouding the cutter with the shaft that holds it and controls the depth you will eventually plug up the cutter. If you have used a K&M tool you will see what i am referring to. The second reason is i personally don't want a tool that grinds against the bottom of the case and uses it for a stop, especially if you are using the tool in a drill. The gentleman that built this particular tool for me felt that this was the best way to make it. He has been building reloading tools for a few very popular companies for over 25 years. That alone makes me feel pretty confident in his abilities. However i will speak with him and suggest the idea of indexing off the bottom of the case and get his thoughts on the matter again. I mic'd the cutter and it is 0.124
I have used the tool side by side with the K&M tool and i feel that it is superior in almost every way. One of the big advantages and differentiators between the tools is that our tool has a shaft that is almost the same diamter as the diameter of the hole. This gives you a very solid feel when you are deburring the flash hole and doesn't allow the tool to slop around like the K&M tool.
BabaOriley wrote:I want to say I'd rather have this tool index off the bottom of the case, but I don't know. Maybe there's a reason you chose to index off the case mouth. If it were called a "flash hole uniformer", it seems you wouldn't want to index off the case mouth, because you then depend on every case being trimmed the same to get the same depth of cut. If you index off the case bottom, it wouldn't matter what the trim length is. You're really only working on the flash hole, and it shouldn't depend on the case length. If you use the tool on a case a bit shorter than the rest, you run the risk of going too deep with the chamfer edge of the cutter. What is the diamter of the cutter btw?
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

I see the problem you run into with the 17 caliber cases. To get the tool through the case mouth, that only leaves you a surface of .040 to .050 to index on if you use the bottom of the case. That is with a 45 degree chamfer. I think it should work though.

Please excuse my poor CAD skills. I've forgot most of it, especially trying to make something quick. I wanted to try and make my comments above as clear as possible. I don't know if these dimensions are appropriate for the .17, but you get the idea on the design. Pretty much what the K&M tool does, but smaller. I don't see how indexing on the case mouth improves on the simplicity of this design.

K&M tool:
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:I mic'd the cutter and it is 0.124
My drawing above shows a .064 diameter cutter with a 45 degree chamfering surface. I actually don't know what the .204 Ruger flash hole diameter is. I thought it was .060. It could be .082? What is it?

The .168 body diameter above was to give a little wiggle room just to get it in the case mouth.
wirelessguy2005

I am glad you posted the picture of the K&M tool. As you can see in the picture the shaft shrouds the cutter and will eventually plug up with brass. I don't necessarily think indexing off the case mouth "improves simplicity". I truly believe if you give this tool a chance you will see that there are many pluses to this tool over the K&M tool. I will have a bunch of the tools in my hands next week, you should give one a try and see what you think.
BabaOriley wrote:I see the problem you run into with the 17 caliber cases. To get the tool through the case mouth, that only leaves you a surface of .040 to .050 to index on if you use the bottom of the case. That is with a 45 degree chamfer. I think it should work though.

Please excuse my poor CAD skills. I've forgot most of it, especially trying to make something quick. I wanted to try and make my comments above as clear as possible. I don't know if these dimensions are appropriate for the .17, but you get the idea on the design. Pretty much what the K&M tool does, but smaller. I don't see how indexing on the case mouth improves on the simplicity of this design.

K&M tool:
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:By shrouding the cutter with the shaft that holds it and controls the depth you will eventually plug up the cutter. If you have used a K&M tool you will see what i am referring to.
I've done 2000 new Winchester cases with the K&M tool now. The first 1000 gave me sore fingers, but I chucked it up in a drill for the 2nd 1000. As far as plugging the end with brass. I never had that happen. The end does get filled up with shavings, but they're so thin they just get mashed out of the way.

I was also able to uniform all those flash holes before any trimming. Some guys load up their first batch of new brass and want to fire it before ever trimming. I don't think you're going to get a lot of 1000 brass that's all exactly the same length.

What is the diameter of an untouched .17 Remington or .17 Fireball flash hole supposed to be?
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

I don't plan on uniforming any more .204 brass for a long time after stocking up on 2000, and I don't have a .17 of any kind. If I did, I would try your tool. You're welcome to send me one to try. I'm not saying your tool won't work. My main hang-up is how you need to depend on the trim length to make them "uniform".
wirelessguy2005

It may take awhile, but eventually that tool will plug up. When i spend the money on a tool i prefer it to last for a lifetime if possible. I used that same mentality when we were designing this particular debur tool.
I would agree that most of the brass available today can vary slightly in length. That is the reason that we made the tool with some adjustment. I deburred a bunch of .17 fireball brass yesterday and it worked perfectly fine for me without making any adjustments.

I would have to take a look at some of my brass to see exactly what the size of flash hole is.

What is the diameter of an untouched .17 Remington or .17 Fireballr flash hole supposed to be?[/quote]
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

Maybe I need to get more serious about my flashhole de-burring, but I have used my Lyman on everything (22-25cal) without using the stop. About three or four quick turns you can tell once the burs are gone, leaves a slight concave or dish around the flashhole. I agree with some that the tool that gauges off the bottom of the case would give a more uniformed "concave", but i can certainly see that if you didn't clean it out it would plug, particularly if it were mounted standing straight-up, like in a RCBS machine. Maybe you could have these threaded the same as what goes into the RCBS machine. I would be interested in a 17 that I could use on 17 Rem and 204 Rugers.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
wirelessguy2005

I appreciate the feedback and I will look into producing one thats threaded. I will let you know as soon as i receive the .17 rem and 204 ruger flash hole debur tools. Thanks
remy3424 wrote:Maybe I need to get more serious about my flashhole de-burring, but I have used my Lyman on everything (22-25cal) without using the stop. About three or four quick turns you can tell once the burs are gone, leaves a slight concave or dish around the flashhole. I agree with some that the tool that gauges off the bottom of the case would give a more uniformed "concave", but i can certainly see that if you didn't clean it out it would plug, particularly if it were mounted standing straight-up, like in a RCBS machine. Maybe you could have these threaded the same as what goes into the RCBS machine. I would be interested in a 17 that I could use on 17 Rem and 204 Rugers.
wirelessguy2005

I will have the smaller version of the .17 cal flash hole deburr tool in my hands and ready to ship within the week. The smaller version is good for the smaller cased .17's.(like the .17 fireball, etc.) We will be producing the flash hole debur for the larger .17's like the 17 remington over the next couple weeks. I will also have the .20 cal flash hole debur tool within the next couple weeks. The price will be $20 including shipping (shipping Via Standard Postal Service to keep the cost down). Please private message me if you are interested in one.
Thanks,
Brad
wirelessguy2005

I was able to look at a prototype of the 20 caliber tool today. There are still a couple adjustments that need to be made. However i think they will be in production within the next week or less. For anyone that's interested in a 20 caliber version of the flash hole debur tool please PM me. I will have picture posted soon. thanks