Primers! Very interesting.

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Primers! Very interesting.

Post by Critter »

I decided it was time to load up for my non-varmint hunting guns.

I have two. One is a Pre-64 Model 70 custom in .260 and the other is a .340 Wea. Mark V that I had rebarreled for .330 Dakota.

I went to the new Sportsman's Surplus store too look at the bullets now available. I was most impressed with the new Hornady line of SST bullets in both calibers. 129 SST in 6.5 and 225 SST in .338. I also purchased the new Hornady reloading manual which had extensive new loads for all the new rounds like WSM, WSSM, Dakota, etc.

Since I am intending to load to max in both cases, something I don't do with my target and varmint rifles, I decided to duplicate all the info given by the book including exact same primer as used in development. That was REM 9 1/2 in the .260 Rem Cases and the F215M in the Dakota .330. The book recommended the WLRM in the 7mm WSM.

So I got those primers. Well, it turns out that using a Hornady handheld priming tool with cases and primers shown above that the primers were a light press fit when the primers used were those recommended by the book and also were in most cases the same mfg. as the cases. It appears that these manufactures design forming punches that precisely match their primer size!

Big secret that I didn't know before.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: 4-Rem 204's ,20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Re: Primers! Very interesting.

Post by hemiallen »

Confused...

Are you saying they are looser in the cases, or tighter? I have read many complaining that some new cases after 2 or 3 reloadings won't accept a primer, ie they fall out when trying to reprime the cases... so my though is, you may want to reload one case 3 or 4 times before getting excited about your findings.

I reload, can walk out back and shoot said rifle, and try to reload a case 5 or so times to verify case life, fitment etc, especially if I decide on a load that seems the cats meow. In the early days of reloading I set up a 280 poorly, and after 3 reloadings could feel the start of case head separation using a sharpened, bent paper clip. Cut the case and determined I set my dies to set the shoulder back too much, causing premature case failure.

Hope your new findings are good, it seems bad to me...

Allen
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Re: Primers! Very interesting.

Post by Critter »

Interesting point.

However, I seldom reload my cases that many times. I was informed long ago that when varmint hunting I would shoot 500 rounds per day, so I purchased brass accordingly. I reality I shot only a fraction of that; on the order of 150 or so. So most of my brass has only been loaded twice to three times at the most. It was some of this that I noticed the effect on.

I use Redding Competition neck sizing dies with NiCad plated carbide sizing bushings. Cases are tumbled and primer residue scraped out after shooting.