Need a new and better scale.....

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Need a new and better scale.....

Post by ryutzy »

Question for you benchrest shooters.....what powder scale is the best out there? I need a more accurate scale as mine is only accurate to .2 of a grain. I currently have a cheaper digital scale and I want to squeeze more accuracy out of my loads. I am torn between the old balance beam scales or one of the new expensive fancy digital scales. Remember, I want the most accurate! so fire away.............
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: Need a new and better scale.....

Post by Vartarg »

Not a benchrest shooter...but here's my take on it....FWIW

I'd guess the RCBS 10-10 scale would be the most accurate. Although I have one and use it occasionally, day in and day out, I go with my RCBS 1500 Chargemaster.....good enough for "government work" 8)

As a member in good standing of the "You Can't Have Too Many Reloading Tools" club I also have and use one of these:

http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_hp.html

Best,

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

if you are looking for a balance beam scale the Redding scale would be one of the best. If you are looking for an accurate reasonably priced digital scale we sell one manufactured by Barry's out in Utah, its a good scale and as accurate as most balance beam scales on the market. I use the digital scale to double check the loads from my digital powder dispenser. Thats my 2 cents. :)

Here is a link to the digital scale we sell. Its one of the only digital scales that is made and assembled in the USA. http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_034.htm

Brad
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I just gave up and bought the RCBS chargemaster scale/dispenser. Life is now better! Look for the online sales and grab it for $289.
K = ½mv2
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

For weighing I like Lee's balance scale. But in my F-class loads I use a volume measure/dippers. The weights aren't as consistent as I thought I wanted. But the loads are more consistent by volume.
YMMV
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I shoot BR. I graduated to an expensive digital scale Denver Instruments MXX-123.
For years I sat there and let my RCBS Chargemaster throw a rough load and fine tuned it on the DI down to .002gns. Time consuming!!!!!
Before that I let my CM throw a rough charge and fine tuned it with just about every beam made.
Three years ago in the spring I was running my 6PPC through the hoops getting it ready for comps. That means super clean barrel that usually runs with HBN coated pills.
Decided to run 10 HBN coated pills through it first and also decided to save time and let the Charge master throw those throw away loads instead of getting anal.

Fired 10 shots out of a clean tube with the CM. Nice 10 shot group. Fired 5 of the supertuned DI chargeweights and the group opened up and the ES went higher.
Just a fluke? Loaded five more with the RCBS and five more with the DI. Fired the DI loads first just in case fouling and barrel heat were contributing factors.
Same exact results. The CM had better grouping and less ES than the high dollar scale.
Unplugged the DS and haven't used it since that day. On ANY gun. Haven't missed it in the least. Scores have improved.
For me I can spend all day and night being anal on all the specifics but you gotta LISTEN to what your guns are telling you.

Out of all the beams I've used Redding did seem the most exacting...BUT... mine had a tendency to shift side to side on the knives and get hung up on the side plates. Not good, not good at all when it happens.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

jo191145 wrote:tendency to shift side to side on the knives and get hung up on the side plates
I'm having the same trouble with my Lee beam scale. It tells me the charge is too high, so I take the pan off, remove 2 granules, put it back on, then I need 5-6-9 granules to get it on weight :wall:
Checking this against my Frankford Arsenal digi scale often helps, but I consistently get a 0.1gn lower reading on the digi eg 27.7gn on beam, 27.6gn digi :chin:
And the zero on the digi tends to jump every now and then (anywhere from .1-.4)

Got me wondering if I should find a decent setting on the powder tipper and just go with it.

Charge weight vs charge volume - that's another topic I guess
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I really like my Redding dies and press. However, for scales my preference is the RCBS 1010. Mine is actually the older Ohaus branded version. Ebay usually has a few in near new condition for a reasonable price. If you can find an older one, it will have the agate bearings. VERY smooth and easy to spot any damage. Can't see myself ever replacing mine although I did add an electric powder trickler (Dandy Products Omega 2spd Trickler) to the mix.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up buying the RCBS 505 model and I'll report back with my thoughts on it. I had a digital scale and decided to try a balance beam before I spend a lot on an expensive digital scale. Once I am able to report back on my ES i'll let you know.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable