General information re: 204R of mine.

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

General information re: 204R of mine.

Post by Bill K »

I have been asked to put some input regarding my methods of loading my ammo and rifle/s that I have used to place in the top three, on the last 3-4 5 on a Dime shoots. I don't think I do must different than most of you do, from what I read on your posts. But here is my manner.
First I take at least 20 rounds of my brass, even once fired and clean it well in a vibrator tumbler. Then I anneal and trim to length and turn necks to .013, camfer mouth and debur and clean up primer pocket.
Then I weigh the cases and set a side ten that match. Then I prime, load powder and seat the bullet. I do this for each of my the two rifles I may be shooting in the match. From those 10 cartridges I find the best load that each rifle likes and give me small groups.
I work a load, for each rifle, that shoots best time and time again. and those cases are used for a given rifle. When I reload those, I keep the brass separated for each rifle. And just resize each to the given rifle, with no shoulder set back, each case is fitted, by adjusting my sizeing die for that given shoulder.
My loads, so far have been 29.3 and 29.4 of CFE223 for a given rifle. In the first shoot ( Varmint Shooter and I shot our targets, off our benches in a field we shot in) at that time my bullet was a Nosler Varmageddon 32 gr FB Tipped) Now due to lead free and working just as well I use the Nosler BT 32 gr bullet in both rifles) I also use 7.5 Rem Primers. But now my set up is at the club range off of very solid concrete benches, with the use of a Harris Front rest and bag rear.
I go out early in the morning, usually around 0600 hrs and have it all to myself, so I can take my sweet time and have little or no wind.
I think this fact is mostly why I have been able to shoot nice little groups and place as well as I have in the past shoots.
My one rifle is a Savage Axis sa, with a rifle basic trigger, set into the 1 lb range, with a Pre-fit barrel from Shaw/E.R.Brown. 1/11 twist, bull contour, 24 inch. in a Boyd's stock.
The other is a CZ 527 American, re-bedded, with a Rifle Basic trigger. That is also set very light. Both rifles shoot super with my given load for each.
I take my time, especially with the CZ American and do not get the barrel hot, so it keeps the grouping good. Another reason for my taking my sweet time at the range to shoot the group to score and turn in.
So I feel that most, if not all of you do about the same and maybe even take other steps to make your groups good ones to turn in, in the upcoming shoot.
I was asked to place some photos, but I do not save the ones I have taken out at the range when I go, so none to show. Other than this one of the CX over the jeep hood, just having fun and playing with loads, one morning in a meadow just up the road from my place.
So hopefull more of you will sign onto Skippers upcoming shoot and lets have some fun and interesting group scores. :D

( My FPS is only 3900, not the fastest, but the most accurate )
Attachments
102_8073.JPG
102_8073.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1498 times
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Re: General information re: 204R of mine.

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Nice writeup about your steps in getting your rifles tuned in. However, I know for a fact that you
use the same steps in getting all your rifles tuned, either for varminting or challenges. We done it
together many times.
I'm sure many will follow your method closely, but the biggest variable is the man behind the trigger.
He'll provide the tightness group.
Chat with you later Bill
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Yes Varmint Shooter, we had some fine times afield prior too you moving to Colo. Both of us have some fine shooting rifles and took a good number of small critters in those pivots and also a decent number of Rock chucks in the lava, always leaving some for seed.
Also a few coyotes, called in. Good times and some very nice long hits. :D :D

Remember this day Bob. You recovered the chucks, as I don't balance as well as when younger on those rocks.
102_5293.JPG
102_5293.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1426 times
102_5294.JPG
102_5294.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 1426 times
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

We did have some good times in the field. Miss the coffee and donuts also.
102_3301.JPG
102_3301.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1412 times
102_3298.JPG
102_3298.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1412 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

All I will add, for now, is "YES" Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Great post there you two! Makes me anxious to get out after the sage rats and chucks, but we've got a fresh dump of 7" of the white stuff....dang!

I'm sure some will gain some good info from your prep and loading techniques, and we all like to see field pics of rifles and the varmints too. It's time for sure to get rifles and loads ready.....seems like it's been a long winter. It'll be time soon......tick-tock...... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Same this morning, with me Rick. Fresh snow on top of the present snow. I am so anxious to get into the fields and rocks, but alas must wait another Month or so. darn. :wall:
Shaky Hands
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Hawkeye Predator

Post by Shaky Hands »

Great seeing how this sport brings folks together to make some great memories. We need to keep sharing the fun of this sport so more youngsters get involved with it instead of letting it die.

just my two cents.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Shaky Hands wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:25 pmGreat seeing how this sport brings folks together to make some great memories. We need to keep sharing the fun of this sport so more youngsters get involved with it instead of letting it die.
Copy that, Shaky!

Our group shoots include friends, dads and sons, even a couple of grandpa's. It's always more enjoyable when it's a group sharing the same fun, shooting squirrels all day then evenings filled with retelling stories about how far that rat got smacked (read: white lies :wink: ). We all camp on ranch property, either in our travel trailers or sometimes in old unused double-wides or old houses if available. One place has an old double-wide with a nice wood stove in it, so evenings are warm and toasty at that place. Cots and sleeping bags are the order of the day.

Our group a while back on a high hill overlooking a few hundred acres of squirrel-filled alfalfa. The 204's got hot on that trip:

Different ranch where we park our trailers, hooked to power and water on ranch property as a group:

Father and son team of son Dan and dad Gary doing their best to reduce the alfalfa munching rodents from a nice hillside:

So for us, there's no worry about our pastime dying here at least, quite the contrary, as right now we're in the gear staging phase, getting ready for our annual "Rat Rodeo" soon. This has become an annual event since initiated in 1998. Confidence is high, excitement grows by the day. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Shaky Hands
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Hawkeye Predator

Post by Shaky Hands »

Rick
that looks like a blast. Glad to see you bring the youngsters along. I do understand the sitting around the fire at night telling stories aka white lies LOL. We do that a lot being vets.