Bullet Weight for Ruger No.1 .204

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
blkdog

Ruger #1

Post by blkdog »

Single Shot, The washer goes around the forend screw and no stock work was required on our rifles. Hope this helps. after we did the washer thing, I had my gunsmith do a trigger job on the factory trigger, big difference! The groups from my .375 are three shots in one hole!, and the 7mm is very close to the same. Good luck ,the # 1's will shoot but they are more finicky than some bolt guns.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I just have to ask what you are using a single shot .375 H&H magnum for? If it's for dangerous game I would at least want a double rifle for the follow up shot. I sure love my Winchester Model 70, 375 H&H. I love the claw type extractor for controlled feeding. It makes a guy feel safer. Having a follow up shot can make a big difference.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
blkdog

.375 H&H

Post by blkdog »

The .375 is a great elk rifle in the heavy timber in north central Idaho, in the thick stuff its good if an elk leaks out both sides. Besides its one of my all time favorites. It also lays deer down in their tracks, not my first choice for deer but it sure works! With practice reloading from between your fingers , you can shoot followup shots almost as fast as a bolt gun.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

blkdog: I've got a good buddy here in Oregon who also hunts elk with a .375 H&H.....goes right through 12" Fir's too in case one "gets in the way". :lol:

You just can't use bullets that are too big for big bulls! :!:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

:D Gunmedic
Just checking to see if you made any progress with your No.1.
Hope all is well with you. Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Gunmedic

Post by Gunmedic »

Hi Ray P, Have not been able to get out. Thanks for checking, Will post when I get out, Gunmedic.
"Happiness is warm brass on a cold day"
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

My Ruger No. 1 Stainless Varminter did not like the heavier bullets at all. Tried the Hornady 40gr, and 10 of Glen Ashers handloads with 39gr Blitz Kings. I only have 50 rounds thru this rifle, and Glen's loads were not tailord to this rifle, so in 100 more rounds who knows.

BTW, the groups weren't terible, maybe an MOA, but the 32gr's were much better. Regaurdless, they will all dispose of varmits.