How many reloads?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Re: How many reloads?

Post by bow shot »

"...And just for Ha Ha's How fast you shootin them 85 Sierras in your 6.5x55 bowshot?"

Well, I don't have a chrony, so i don't know. But they turn a woodchuck into a bloddy rag!! Here's a pic of what I got from them using my "dregs" powder and brass to dial in my scope. one fouler and then a 3-shot 300y group. I was afraid to ruin the fun by shooting 5, cuz I probably would have opend the group up to 6". LOL!!

bow shot

Post by bow shot »

85gn Sierra Varminter handiwork... Makes me feel all warm and happy inside :D !!

Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

jo191145 Hunter is in the R19/IMR4831 burn range and not too slow. I`ve used R22 and H4831 in my 6.5x284 with 100 and up bullet wts but never pressed them. Both are slower then Hunter.
Ramshot uses the slower Magnum in the 264 Mag with 85gr bullets and according to their web site did not make 3700 fps with that combination. Pressures don`t show until 70K+ psi, and primers from what I`ve been told, and case head expansion etc needs more pressure yet. You might not see pressure signs but I strongly suspect you are well over 65K psi. Ramshot shows loads at the 64K range so I suspect 65K is the CIP limit SAAMI doesn`t reconize the cartridge.
I`m not saying your load isn`t safe in your rifle. Every rifle is different and a rule unto themselves. I`ve rifles that I`ve loaded slightly over book with no problems and another that I can`t get near the books max without popping primers. I actually get book max velocity at just over starting loads. :huh: I do think your pretty close to the edge though and either way that has to be one flat shooting lazer!. :wtg:
You might want to try R17 in your 6.5x284. I found it to give very nice accuracy and best velocities in mine with 140gr Nosler Custom Comp`s and 120gr MK`s. It is similar to IMR4350 in burn rate so its a hair faster then your Hunter. http://www.6mmbr.com/reloder17.html
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

sorry about the overly huge pics... I'll try to fix that. 'Not trying to be obnoxiously gory...
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

Im retired and live in prairie dog country so I go out shooting ,use up my reloads and go home. I keep using the same cases untill I get a neck split and then its time to anneal the necks. I keep two new bags of 100 ea cases for my 17 Fireball and 204 Ruger as backup .
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

tuck2 wrote:Im retired and live in prairie dog country so I go out shooting ,use up my reloads and go home. I keep using the same cases untill I get a neck split and then its time to anneal the necks. I keep two new bags of 100 ea cases for my 17 Fireball and 204 Ruger as backup .
I reload my cases as many times, as I can. But when the necks split it is too late to anneal. :huh: At that point I sell them to the local recycle dealer, as brass. Bill K :)