nosler brass & 20vt has me stumped

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
fishnbob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C venture predator

nosler brass & 20vt has me stumped

Post by fishnbob »

I cant seem to get this nosler brass to shoot. I am hoping you guys ill have some suggesttions.
First, some history. I posted here a while back with forming steps I use to make military brass into 20vt brass. It still shoots lights out. I consistantly get 1/4 inch 5 shot groups and sometimes a little smaller yet. So it is not the gun or scope.

Now the nosler brass issues.
It is nosler221 fireball brass. I ran it through a redding body die, then redding neck sized with 226 bushing. Third, I used a K&M expander and cleaned the necks up about 90%. Fourth, I annealed the necks and ran them back through the redding neck die.

Now the problem begins. These suckers wont shoot beteer then 1-2 inch groups. I tried the same pet load as my formed military brass which is 18gr 4198. I have tried 17gr-18.4 in .2gr increments with same bullet and seating depth. I havent had a chance to chrono them yet to compare to the military brass which is at 3580 with the 18gr h4198.

I dont have a concentricity gauge, so i have not checked that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I had high hopes for this brass and made up 500 of them. Good thing I made 800 of the military brass I will at least have that for my pd trip in June.

If anyone with a 20vt is interested i will send you 10 or so to look at and try and see if you can figure it out.
One last thing, I havent tried loading any after they have been fire formed.
Thanks Bob

One other thing I forgot is the nosler case length is about. 010 shorter then the trim lengthof my military brass.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: nosler brass & 20vt has me stumped

Post by Rick in Oregon »

fishnbob wrote:One last thing, I havent tried loading any after they have been fire formed
Bob, the first thing I'd do is load up your pet load in the fireformed brass and try that, as fireformed brass from your chamber should be the most "accurate" brass you could use. I'm shooting a Cooper 20VT and using Nosler brass. I have no trouble shooting one-hole bugholes with the stuff, so I'm guessing it's not the brass.

My TIR using this brass after fireforming with a bullet seated is right on .001", as I just loaded up a batch yesterday and checked the TIR prior to boxing 'em up for an upcoming rat shoot. If you expect dinky groups, a concentricity guage is a good thing to have on the bench. :D

Try your pet load again with your fireformed brass, and you should see an improvement.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

fishnbob

Post by fishnbob »

It might not be the brass but I was worried it might be something I did to it because I have no trouble shooting the small groups withfire forming loads from the military stuff.
Thanks Bob
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Bob,

When I am forming the Nosler 221 for my 20 SCC i do so in 2 steps. I run them thru my Whidden 20 SCC FL bushing die with a .241 bushing and then again with a .230 bushing. After this i prime, charge, and seat the bullet. I don't believe you need to anneal the Nosler 221 brass when only stepping it down to 20 caliber. In the 20 SCC with fireform loads i am getting groups well under 1/2" if i do my part.

As Rick noted i would reload the formed cases and try them again, most likely you will see better accuracy the second time around.

Also out of curiosity what does the neck on your 20 VT chamber measure?

Brad
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

What is neck thickness prior to necking down?

What is neck thickness AFTER necking down?

IMHO, I would neck turn BEFORE necking down. Otherwise, you will end up with "donuts" at the neck/shoulder junction.

As RIO suggested, check TIR. Also check how much neck tension on a necked down, but unfired piece of brass. Suspect you may have neck tension and/or a donut that is coming into play.

As wirelessguy and RIO suggested, definitely shoot a couple of fireformed rounds as well.

Please let us know what/how you proceed.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Aye... I've been bitten by the doughnut louse in times past, has caused sorrows. Beware!

I've used the K&M cutter for that, it works extremely well. Just be sure to start it into the neck turning CCW, then you can go ahead and turn CW, it will be smooth sailing. Otherwise, its not fun at all.

That said, I just neck turn cuz I can and I like concentric ammo even though my rifles probably can't tell any difference.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

+1 on all of the above.

In particular, if you did a 90% clean-up on the necks, I would wonder if you have enough neck tension after going through a .226 bushing. How thick are they? Also, make sure the inside of the necks are squeaky clean after annealing.
fishnbob

Post by fishnbob »

Been real busy and havent had time to play. As soon as I get a chance I will try some of your suggestions and let you know how it turns out. Hanks
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

man, that is soooo understood, lol!!