6BR build

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

6BR build

Post by Tokimini »

I just finished a 6BR Savage build and got out to the range yesterday. I was very pleased with the results. Using 24.5 gr of H322 and 107 gr Sierra MKs I was consistently getting sub half inch 5 shot groups, and that powder is not supposed to work well with heavy bullets in a 6BR. I'm getting 2 lbs of Varget from my son next week and that is the go to powder for this cartridge. I can't wait to see what that's going to do. (I corrected the scope base after I took the pic.)

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: 6BR build

Post by Glen »

Nice shooter you got there!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

Nice gun, like the bolt handle. I love building savage rifles, I like to do one every year to pass the time between end of hunting season and start of the next hunting season. Is that a B&C medalist stock and a criterion barrel? I just got a savage action and trying to decide what caliber to order for the barrel.
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

Thanks guys. It is a B & C Medalist stock and the barrel is a McGowen in 8 twist. You're right Toasty, these things are a blast to build. I really enjoy being able to say "Me" when people ask who built your rifle. If you don't already have one, I would suggest a 6BR. From 300 to 600 yards nothing else can touch it, at 100 yards the 6PPC is only marginally more accurate, and the 6BR can still hold it's own at 1000 yards. It's cheap to reload and supposedly really easy to tune. What more could ask from a cartridge?
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

More guns! Makes a body feel fine, LOL!!! Good job, brudda!
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

bow shot wrote:More guns! Makes a body feel fine, LOL!!! Good job, brudda!
Thanks my friend. I was at our buddies in East Rochester getting a 6mm cleaning brush last week. All they have on their shelves is dust.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

You mean, "good dust" as in stuff is flying off the shelves, or "bad dust" as in, we are letting the NY business fade away as we build up in PA?
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

bow shot wrote:You mean, "good dust" as in stuff is flying off the shelves, or "bad dust" as in, we are letting the NY business fade away as we build up in PA?
I was a bit worried about that too. I asked the clerk flat out "Are you guys going out of business?". He said "We sell 8000 guns a year here. We're not going anywhere."
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

so far so good then!
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

That is a nice looking rig. I ordered a new 6BR barrel from McGowen Outlet on Weds. and it was here on friday! Montana to Oregon! It's a 12 twist for the 55-80 Grain Varmint bullets. Savage rifles+ McGowen barrels are very accurate. It's my 6th McGowen rifle.

http://www.mcgowenoutlet.com/

Retired Timber faller
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

ClaimJumper wrote:Savage rifles+ McGowen barrels are very accurate. It's my 6th McGowen rifle.
Very accurate indeed. Since getting my loads tuned I can get 100 yards 5 shot groups in the .1s on a regular basis. I'm already planning a 6.5 x 47 lapua build with a Savage and McGowen combination.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Its definitely a caliber on my short list. Wonder how the smaller bullets would do on the 8-twist? I'd like to shoot the whole range of sizes.
K = ½mv2
toasty

Post by toasty »

Bodei wrote:Its definitely a caliber on my short list. Wonder how the smaller bullets would do on the 8-twist? I'd like to shoot the whole range of sizes.
I built a 6x45 (6mm 223 Rem) with an 8 twist. I can shoot 55 to 105 (haven't tried anything bigger) and even with a lower velocity have no problems stabilizing the 105 hybrids. I feel like my best accuracy is around 70-80 grain bullets, but the 55s do alright with the 8 twist.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Where is a good source to learn about building a Savage rifle? I've built several high end AR's but would love to build me a bolt gun. Also, where do you buy the Savage actions? Thanks,
JD Southeast Texas
toasty

Post by toasty »

Best place to get a savage action is find a used gun at a pawn shop, gun show, or local gun classifieds. Take off the barrel and stock and sell them on ebay and end up around $200-$300 for your action. You can buy new ones from northland shooters supply and I've seen a few here and there, but they are usually priced at $400 min.

There are a lot of good online resources that can help you out, do a google search for savage forums. Tons of people have built savage guns and there is a good chance someone very near you has already done it and has the wrench, headspace gauges, and the know how.

The hardest part about savage rifles is knowing which stock fits which action and which action you want. Savage has changed their short action 3 times in the last 10 years and the stocks are not interchangeable and then they have a long action. For stock options, you want top bolt release, the bottom bolt release is just too new and doesn't have many options. If you're going short, centerfeed or 4.4" action screw spacing has most stock options, but the stagger feed or 4.275 also has several options.

The stock accutrigger is just OK, but there are some simple things that can be done to the trigger to make it as nice as most aftermarket triggers and the trigger is really easy to work on compared to other guns. If you're just going to buy a timney or rifle basix trigger, a non accutrigger used gun can save you quite a bit of money and they seem to be everywhere.