Re entering reloading looking for advise

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Re entering reloading looking for advise

Post by savgebolt »

i am interested in getting back into reloading after a 40 year break,,,, gonna reload 204 ruger and 22-250, for punching paper and hunting , in small volumes , currently using a friends forster press , i have a beam scale but thought i would use a powder measure to get close, is the hornady press good ? any advice is appreciated,,, thank you
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Re entering reloading looking for advise

Post by Rick in Oregon »

sbolt: Any press will do you just fine. I've used a RCBS Rockchucker for 30 years until I actually wore it out. Replaced it with a Redding single stage press, and it's going strong giving .0005" or zero TIR using Redding Comp Seating Dies. My old Rockchucker was giving me TIR readings of over .006", hence the replacement.

As for a powder measure, you can't go wrong with a Redding BR-30....best this side of a Culver or Harrell I've ever used.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I would suggest, if you need most all components, take a look at some of the starter kits out there. Most have every thing you need to get started. So all you need to add is your dies.
When I first started, a friend gave me an old Lyman turret press, so I added all the other components, one at a time. That was my first mistake to get started. I kept track of the cost of every thing I had to buy, and it cost me a small fortune. At the time it cost me at least twice what it would have, if I would have done more homework, and looked at a complete kit! :wall:
Just a thought.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I started with a Pacific kit in 1980. Served me well for many years. Over time, I started replacing individual items as I sorted out my personal needs and preferences. I have nothing left of the original kit. However, it got me going and allowed me to spread the expense of up-grades over a long period of time. If you start off with a quality press and scale, along with a decent measure, you will always have a market for them if you decide to take a different route down the road. So,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the water is just fine, jump on in!!! :D
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

RAMOS wrote:I started with a Pacific kit in 1980. Served me well for many years.
Son-of-a-gun...so did I, although about 5-years later until I wore it out.

To the OP; I replaced my single-stage with a Redding single stage and as RIO pointed, very good TIR's. Futuretrades gives some good advice WRT starter kits. You'll find most, if not all of the powder scales are Ohaus with specific manufacture colors and logo's. I've dealt with Redding, RCBS, Dillon and Hornady [Pacific] and they have all treated me well.

Good luck and remember; buy once...cry once or get the best you can afford so you don't have to but it twice.

HTH...
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Post by savgebolt »

thanks all,, i have a lot of respect for those that responded,,, thanx
bythebook
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77VT and TC Oncore also have access to Savage

Post by bythebook »

I started with a $10.00 Lyman kit that you used a hammer to do the operations In 1964. Since then I have had Lyman, RCBS, and now use a Forester press and would not trade it for anything. The only other press I would like to have is a DIllion 550 for my handguns. In my opinion the Forester Co-ax cannot be beat for quality and accuraccy .
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

I started 5 years ago with the RCBS Rock chucker kit. I have since added a hornady powder dispenser and today a Dillon 550b progressive pressive press. Like most others say buy a kit and slowly add.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger