Recommend me a tumbler!

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Recommend me a tumbler!

Post by savageboy23 »

Ok guys I'm in the market for a tumbler. I currently have a hornady ultra sonic cleaner which works good for the interior of cases. I will most likely be ordering it from bass pro shop as I have a gift card from there even tho bass pro isn't located in MN :mad:. I have read good reviews on the rangemaxx one they sell otherwise rcbs and Lyman are my other choices.

I did also purchase a Dillion 550b progressive press today so once my basement is finally finished off and my gun room is back in order I can start cranking out rounds again :D.

Thanks for any help!
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Recommend me a tumbler!

Post by RAMOS »

I would suggest a rotary tumbler. Less noise than a vibratory unit and opens up the media choices to anything, including the stainless pins. My tumbler is an ancient Lortone rock tumbler and works great with walnut media and a splash of Rooster Brite Polish.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Go with the stainless steel pin rotary tumbler. EVERYTHING is clean. Literally, feels like NEW brass.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Been perfectly happy with the Frankford unit I've had for many moons. Personally I don't have the obsession to compulsively clean my brass, so I can't get into the stainless/ultra-sonic business.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
acloco

Post by acloco »

When EVERYTHING stays cleaner with stainless media cleaned brass, you will be! :)

Everything stays cleaner - dies, press, hands....and if you deprime first, the primer pockets are clean as well.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have been happy with my Frankford Arsenal vibrating tumbler. The brass comes out looking shiny and new. I like corn media and Flitz polish in it. I just did not get into the wet brass, from the sonic and metal rotary media. I prefer to not put my dirty brass through my dies to take the primers out prior to cleaning the brass. Not that they do not clean very well, I just do not feel the need to do it. I do clean my brass after each shooting.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

How ever you choose to clean your brass, I sure can't think of a single 'negative' associated with clean brass. I know several guys that are perfectly happy not tumbling anything, ever. Fine with me, I like my brass CLEAN. Like the way it looks, like the way it cycles, like the way it goes through the dies, like the way it feels in my hand. Just my choice for me.

I did think of one negative in regards to a particular method of cleaning brass: One time, going into deer season I had ammo to use from the previous year. They had dulled down so I polished them up by hand using Eagle One Never-Dull wadding. They looked like a million bucks (see what I did there?), too. Problem was, they were so slippery you could not keep ahold of them! Literally, slicker than snot. Only time I have ever regretted having clean, shiny brass. ;)
acloco

Post by acloco »

Using a Lee depriming die solves the problem of removing the primers.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have a depriming tool, but since the vibrator type cleaner does not get into the pockets that well and I have had media stuck into the flash holes, I have chosen not to do it that way. I have a primer pocket cleaner on my case prep center so it is not a big thing for me and faster than depriming each case in a separate step on the press . That has been my experience. The sonic and metal tumblers do a better job on the primer pockets.
Last edited by Sidewinderwa on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Post by savgebolt »

i too have the frankfort arsenal tubmler , its the only case cleaner ive ever used ,,, i use the stainless steel pins and water and cleaner to tumble with , i use a universal depriming die to remove primers before i clean my cases,,,,they come out clean inside and primer pockets very clean,,,, that way all my dies see clean brass, i like it
SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

Rotary tumbler with SS pins here too. Always amazed at how clean brass comes out. I found some brass that had been buried in the dirt for lord knows how long while PD hunting one year. Threw it in the Thumlers and after a bit it came out looking like new. I have a pretty good system setup and just let my brass dry on a paper towel. What's nice is you can quickly identify any problems with your brass when it's super clean. You'll see if there are small cracks in the neck, if you're getting the head separation ring of death, etc easier IMO.