Hand held priming unit

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Highcountry
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger m77 v/t

Hand held priming unit

Post by Highcountry »

I've been thinking about getting a hand primer for everything I run through my single stage press. I was hoping to get some feed back from some of the members here. Who makes the good ones, which brands to stay away from and in general how does it compare to a bench or press mounted ones? I have a Lee auto prime that attaches to my press, I've had it close to 30 years now, it works, but as it ages it's starting to have issues. Thanks.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Hand held priming unit

Post by RAMOS »

Absolutely love my Sinclair hand priming tool. Feels good in the hand, superb craftsmanship. Excellent tactile feedback, you can feel the primer enter the pocket and feel when it contacts the bottom. Adjustable and lockable for seating depth, as well. Some may not care for the fact that it is single feed but, I don't mind at all. Price is a bit steep but it is often on sale for $100.00

I also have a RCBS unit that uses spring loaded jaws instead of a shell holder and has a primer tray. It is 'okay' but has not seen any use since the Sinclair was purchased a few years ago.

Have been curious about the K&M tool but never have had the opportunity to play with one. Yes, I really like tools!!! ;)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'll completely agree with Ramos. The Sinclair unit will be the last one you'll ever buy, as it'll last forever. I much prefer it for all the reasons Jon listed, plus the fact that it's extremely well made on CNC equipment with very close tolerances in stainless steel. It utilizes Lee shellholders, available everywhere.

I've had most of the other hand-held units over the years, even wore out two Lee hand priming tools after many thousands of rounds, most shot on colony rodents here. Once you're used to the cadence of priming with the Sinclair unit, you'll be very comfortable with the 'speed' of hand priming. I'd never consider priming on any bench-mounted unit, as the "feel" is gone with the leverage they provide. The Sinclair priming tool gives very good tactile feedback as Jon mentioned.

I'm always willing to pay a little bit extra for high quality tools, especially handloading tools where accuracy is the name of the game. Buy once, cry once and be done with it. This is the best priming tool on the planet and will last your entire lifetime IMHO. :D

Note: Photo taken a while back when I used wooden loading blocks. I've since "graduated" to the sweet alloy blocks from CRT. Loaded ammo is 223 with coated 40gr Barnes VLC's.....wish they were still available.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Sinclair's are a good as they come, worth every penny.
Buckeye Bill
.204 Ruger Guns: AR

Post by Buckeye Bill »

I have been using an RCBS for about 4 years now and I like it. I will say that it is the only one I have ever used so I can not make a comparison. It is completely flexible to load large and small primers from 204 to 45.

Bill