.25-06 rem question

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
kWm
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint

.25-06 rem question

Post by kWm »

I've had, and been reloading for my .25-06 for years. I shoot the 75 vmax atop H414. Always have used Rem brass, but got some Hornady awhile back, that was what was available. A couple month ago I shot some groups with my well used Rem brass, two nice groups one under 1/2" and one a little over 1/2". This is the same load I've been shooting for years, always shoots pretty fair and killed a lot of critters. I loaded some Hornady brass a few weeks ago, everything was exactly the same as I load my rems. I ran them all through a F/L sizing die. I shot a couple groups and they were spraying 2-3" groups at 100yrds. And chronied SD of up to 200+fps. I just got my crony and I have never chronied any using rem brass. But it seemed low for the load, they were anywhere between 3300-3500fps. I'm running 54r H414, max load is 55gr and book says approx 3650fps. Shooting out of a 700 with 24" barrel. Anyone have any ideas on this?????? :help: I am in the midst of loading some more with my old remmys to shoot and crony and make sure it's just the hornady brass loads or if I have something else going on, but 200fps deviation in velocity is baffling me. I use a Redding match powder measure and check it often during charging loads to make dang sure nothing has changed.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: .25-06 rem question

Post by Jim White »

Well, wen ever any component is changed one really needs to retest and re-verify the load because it doesn't always work out; this apples with primers, powder, cases and bullets although the latter is usually pretty consistent.

Since it seems to be brass related; I would take some measurements on the brass including internal volume, neck thickness and diameter on a loaded for starters and compare to your Remington brass loads and see if there are any differences.

Note: it doesn't take much...

HTH,
varmit_master
.204 Ruger Guns: TC 204

Post by varmit_master »

I use rem and ww brass in my TC venture 25 06 both will shoot great groups RL19 and 117 SST. I friend give me 40 rss of Hornady brass that he shot in his gun. I full length size the Hornady out of 40 4 of the necks spilt . After seeing that I don't guy any. I had 200 rds of new Hornady 204 brass. Got my hands on Winchester and sold the Hornady never open them. Love the SST bullet but not a fan of brass.
DannoBoone
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator .204

Post by DannoBoone »

When necks start splitting, annealing is in order. I once got some .25-06 Remmy brass
in which the necks started cracking during resizing after the first fire forming. The rest
got annealed and no more cracking.

Just this week I measured Hornady .204R brass. There was .005" difference at the shoulder
of virgin vs. the fire formed brass. It will only get neck sized as long as the brass will chamber
well.
varmit_master
.204 Ruger Guns: TC 204

Post by varmit_master »

Thanks I will remember that. Next time I get some. I don't shoot it much. I will deer season is coming up.