Chronograph suggestions

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Chronograph suggestions

Post by savageboy23 »

I'm looking for suggestions on which chronograph to buy. Which models and brands are you folks all using? Never really looked into one so I'm not really familiar with the.. I'm at the point where I would like to know what velocity I am getting out of my handloads.

Thanks in advance. And I hope you all have a merry Christmas!
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Chronograph suggestions

Post by Bill K »

Many are going to the Radar style, new one out.. However for most of us and how often we use them one of the Shooting Chrony models or Magnetospeed/sportsman model would/will work just fine. Bill K :)
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

The Competition Electronics ProChrono is the best of the lower-priced optical chronos. They're reliable, and have proven many times to generally agree well with expensive Oehlers and Magnetospeeds.

The more expensive options (Magnetospeed, LabRadar, Oehler optical) all have their plusses & minuses.
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Post by savgebolt »

i have used and watched the magneto speed many times last summer , it works great , dependable, easy to use, no reason to doubt it isnt accuratne, it did want to slide on the barrel of 6.5 x 284 still worked properly , i think that could be over come easy enough
bigdaddyWSM
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

Post by bigdaddyWSM »

I started with the caldwell & it worked fine but always needed a perfect day so i didnt have to fiddle with sun shades, rain, etc. now i use a Labradar everytime since i do lots of load devopment,, just set on bench next to barrel & shoot, no problems. was going to get a Magnetospeed but none at Scheels when i was shopping. only problem with Labradar is it wont read above 4000fps,, not good for fast .204 loads.
Last edited by bigdaddyWSM on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I've been using a Crony Beta Master for years because it was cheap enough when I first bought it. Yes, I have had to clear packing tape the shades together, worry about overcast days, make sure the rifle was set up correct so that I was shooting between the poles and at the right height so I would get a reading, but it worked. If i had to do it all over again I would spring for some of the newer technology, but the crazy thing still works, SO...
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em