Powder names are getting to an almost confusing point

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
robert w.
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger american preditor/cz527

Powder names are getting to an almost confusing point

Post by robert w. »

Got the new hodgon reload magazine.flipped straight to 45 colt loads as i load 45 colt n i see unequel.i thoughtbthey spelled unique wrong.but looked at grains n was less.i use 8 grains unique to push hornady 250 grain jhps.the unequel uses less .why dont they look at competitors n old numbers and keep from naming them too close from others.
I know we must check n double check but i smell problems on the horizon
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Powder names are getting to an almost confusing point

Post by Rick in Oregon »

"the unequel uses less" :duh:

WTH are you trying to say? Please type in normal, human-type English, 'cause I can't understand a word of what you are trying to say with that diatribe. :huh:

If you use caps where needed, don't run words together, proof read prior to hitting "enter", we just might be able to comment on whatever it is you're trying to say. Help us out there, buddy!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

robert w.

Post by robert w. »

I would go back and change it.But it would take up 2 pages to thin it down so YOU could understand what i posted
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

robert w. wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 am I would go back and change it.But it would take up 2 pages to thin it down so YOU could understand what i posted
I realize I'm not very smart, but if you'd repost your question so we regular folks could try to understand what you're trying to say, we'll be glad to try to help you out, or at least comment on what your issue really is.

I'm thinking you do not approve of all the different alpha-numeric names applied to various powders? :huh:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Robert w. The new powders and names are mostly marketing ploys, to get us to purchase the latest and newest.
I have found, after falling for a couple of them, that I just will stick to the old, tried and true powders that have worked for me, for years. Especially in the pistol/revolver loading. Think you would do well to do the same, and not get caught up in the names, etc. Find a load that works, well in accuracy-first, then FPS-second and just stick with it. It will save you money in the long run and make your life a lot more happy and simple. After shooting, reloading for over 70 years, and still going, that is what I am trying too do. Bill K
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 amFind a load that works, well in accuracy-first, then FPS-second and just stick with it.
Good advice there, Bill. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I know you, from you posts, etc. Rick. Agree accuracy first, especially on our Skippy's.. Great acrobatics, even with some slower, but accurate loads, than those fast misses.. Bill K
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

20180111_101204.jpg
20180111_101204.jpg (838 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
20180111_101204.jpg
20180111_101204.jpg (838 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
No its not approve. Its naming their product too close to the name of an existing product .
Unique,Unequel , The names can get some soul thats not paying attention.
Was a few numbered powders i read about in old gun writers section about confusing the numbers .Thus getting the wrong powder.
As for new powders hey im for them. Just name them not so close to another powder.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ahh, now I understand what you are referring to.

With this hobby, attention to detail is paramount, and failure to pay attention can have disastrous results. No matter how the powder manufacturers label their products, it's up to us to read and understand the differences and nuances of each offering prior to dumping it into cases of high intensity rifle calibers.

This is not the time to gloss over the manuals just looking for speed in any given caliber. I've found that by laying in a decent quantity of proven powders in the calibers I shoot, it saves headaches trying to find the holy grail of loads with the plethora of powders now available. Find what works, stick with it. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

robert w.

Post by robert w. »

You go in Durham sports to buy powder and they have a kid there working the gun coumter thats scared of guns. You ask can you get me a canister of unique? H grabs unequel .puts it in your bag and you pay.as you get to your car you look , and dammit thats not what i ordered. You go back in and they say sorry all ammo and reloading supplys are non returnable.
The durham near me does that. I watched a guy specify exactly what he wanted and the clerk poked wrong item in a bag,rang him up.b As the guy was paying he happened to see it was wrong item. He said thats not what i ordered. the kid wouldnt get what he wanted. I stepped in and said he asked for 1 thing you gave him another. The clerk got the manager. We listened to company policy. I said ok but i heard what he asked for and your guy bagged it and never let him see item. He did get his money back and we both walked out sayin we never go back.
Now send your wife in and she accepts whats given, you have a powder you might never use and still be out of what you want.
As for loading i make dam sure i got the right powder at the start
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

That just proves the point. It is up to us, not others, to make sure we are getting what we want, prior to leaving the counter, let alone the store. Look at and check the item/s the clerks bring back and then and only then accept and pay for it. No matter what it be, powder, bullets, etc. Bill K
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

BIll,these jerks at durham wont let you see what they poke in your bag in the gun section.
Everything is locked and they act like your going to shoot as soon as you get your merchandice. I will never go in again.
A guy told me he bought a rifle,and a durham employee had to carry it to your vehicle. He said the employee dropped it n he went off on them demanding money back. He said took an hour,they wanted him to take another rifle. He said if your carrying it out no way.
If they are that insecure about firearms,maybe they shouldnt sell em.
I read their fliers in sunday paper,i go to town and never see very many at the store . But 12 blocks to academy its crowded
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Sounds good. I know if that is how they operate and do, then I would never shop there.. Bill K
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

They sure dont have any customers. Prices are higher than academy ,who is high to me.
Couple local gun store owners said 3 weeks after durham opened buisness picked up. But both think its a tax shelter
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Make sue you pay real close attention to the labels. Year back Alliant used to color code their powder brands. Not anymore. The entire Reloder labels are all identical except the number. Just be careful.

Remember; details....details....details....