Steel Cased Ammo, is it safe?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Steel Cased Ammo, is it safe?

Post by skipper »

I went to my local indoor range this afternoon and was told that I couldn't shoot steel cased ammunition because two people there had been hurt shooting it. What??? :huh: I'm not going to express my opinion just yet, even though you can probably guess, but I would like to hear your thoughts about shooting steel cased ammunition. Is there some inherent danger to the shooter, the gun, bystanders, or other dangers I'm not aware of?

I know that this particular range will not let you pick up spent cases. Once shot, they become the property of the range and I was personally reprimanded for putting my revolver brass back in the box before leaving. This fact impacts my opinion about this particular range. What's your thoughts???
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Steel Cased Ammo, is it safe?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wow, in all my years shooting, I've never heard of steel case ammunition actually hurting someone. I'm not sure what a flying steel case could do to you compared to a brass one. Sounds like "made-up logic" to me. :chin:

I'm guessing it's also a excuse for him to not have to sort through all the spent range brass to find the 'obnoxious' steel stuff so he can sell the once-fired stuff at a profit somewhere. Maybe he's not aware of the properties of magnets. :wink:

As for the range rules there, I suppose it's up to the owner of the place. But honestly, if it were me, I'd probably never set foot in the place. ALL my brass comes home from any shooting session, pistol, revolver or rifle....ALL of it, every time! If I plan to crank out a thousand rounds of .45 or 9mm on my Dillon, I really don't want to have to BUY another thousand empty cases to do it!

No sir, that place would go broke around here with those selfish, lame range rules. :? You asked for our opinions.....mine is two thumbs DOWN! :nay:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Steel Cased Ammo, is it safe?

Post by skipper »

I intentionally brought the cheaper steel ammo this trip because of their rule about not picking up brass. I don't reload steel casings. I'm not saying you cannot reload steel, but it's not my cup of tea. Anyhow, the range I normally go to is back open after that tragic accident so I'll probably go back there next Thursday. I have been going to this particular range because it's an indoor range hence warm in the winter. Besides, I have to start shooting skeet again since duck season closes soon.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em