Acceptable Velocity Spread

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Panhandlepilgrim
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12

Acceptable Velocity Spread

Post by Panhandlepilgrim »

Hey all, first post on here, but been a follower since I got a savage model 12 for Christmas last year. I immediately began reloading the 39gr Sierra's over 27 gr of Varget and found a very accurate load on paper but not as much in the ES department (about 70 fps) it is to my knowledge that smaller bores are harder to get consistent velocities but I'd like to see what everyone else has been able to get, I load for long range shooting in a 300 WSM and I was able to achieve a 15fps ES and a SD of 3.
I know those aren't realistic with this caliber but winter boredom and our annual squirrel shoot in southern Oregon are coming up and I want to try and find a load that i can reach out to 400+ with a little more consistency. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Panhandlepilgrim on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Acceptable Velocity Spread

Post by Bill K »

If it is a very accurate load and is able to allow you to consistently hit your targets, especially our squeeks and Chucks, what does it matter if the ES varies ? Accuracy first, then FPS, etc. Just my thought. Bill K :)
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

With 27 gr of varget,you should be getting around 3550 fps. At 70 fps ES elevation will be about 1 inch difference at 400 yards. At 500 yards about 2 inches.70 fps ES is a little on high side.I get around 16-24 ES or less, and standard deviation usually in the single digits w/ Varget,W-748-,H322,H335,Imr 8208.Primers you are using was not listed,changing brands may make a difference.You may be able to lower your ES by Deburring primer pockets if you do not do this,make sure primers are seated same depth.Case prep can cause larger ES.{Trim length,Neck I.D, O.D.Weight of cases]I use win primers almost entirely,going to try Match Rem/ Federals at distance to see if there is any difference.If you are trying for smallest groups ,lowering ES Helps,if Not you should be Good to Go.I did notice accuracy nodes at 27.3 and 27.6 grains of Varget,w/ the 39 B. King out of 4 different barrels,2-1 in 12" and 2- 1 in 11" twist.Varget204
Panhandlepilgrim
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12

Post by Panhandlepilgrim »

I'm currently using CCI 450s. Velocity avg was 3650 with a 1-12" twist factory 26" barrel. I realize it's not much of a gain with looking for tighter velocities but I want to try get a good long range load and shooting at a target that's only 6 inches tall I need all the help i can't get in the accuracy department. I shoot a couple every year out to the 600 yard realm with my 300 but that gets expensive quick, it's a lot of fun and good practice so I thought I might try the same with the 204.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I would suggest then that you prep your cases as well as you can, in all respects then obtain a life size ground squirrel target and work up a load that allows you to hit it at least 4 out of 5 times at the distance's you want to attempt shots at. Again accuracy trumps. Bill K :)
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

I agree with Bill.

Ideas will come if you aren't getting the precision you're looking for.
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

What ever the velocity is,you want the Lowest Extreme Spread and the Lowest Standard Deviation you can get for Long Distance.If you are getting more than 50 fps ES i would check Prepping cases,Weighing Cases,sorting bullets by weight/ ogive length.You can even try a different brand of Primer.Getting single digit SD is very possible w/204 ruger.When you have a large velocity difference in each shell,IT WILL CAUSE Larger Vertical spreads,and affect windage also. A LOT of ES is why some loads that look good at 100 don't preform at distance.I would rather have a Little Lower Velocity w/ Low ES than Higher Velocity load with large Velocity difference,shell to shell. Distance makes a Big Difference--Varget204