Is the Cost of Reloading really worth it?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Re: Is the Cost of Reloading really worth it?

Post by Tom Kat »

I researched, tested, and hand loaded my own bear medicine. Then I flew into remote Canada and sat in a tree for 7 days before I fired. I had paid $3,000 for that bear and I didn't care about reloading cost analysis. I knew where that bullet was going and what it would do. And he was dead before he hit the ground. My guide greatly appreciated my efforts.

You don't get all of that from a box of white Winchester X box from Walmart.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Post by jwsmith1959 »

As many have noted, reloading is pleasurable and although not always cost effective, I know I am loading the best possible ammo possible. That being said. I quit loading pistol several years ago simply because I don't shoot a lot of it anymore and no longer need super accurate 44 Magnum and other hunting calibers. In my hey-day, I shot many hundreds of rounds per week (mostly 45 ACP, 9mm and 38/357 and a good bit of the larger Magnum calibers). I guess if I had a 223 in an AR platform that shot pretty much anything, I would probably bargain hunt for it.

I reload for all of my rifle calibers and all gauges of shotgun. I know my quality is top notch.

I do shop around for components and have managed a fairly good stockpile several years ago. I did get low on Small Rifle primers and certain powders, but have always had enough to be able to shoot.

There are some top notch factory rounds out there, but as Tom Kat noted, he produced exactly what he wanted for his hunt and knew exactly what he had.
FoxFlopper
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning Predator Hunter

Post by FoxFlopper »

Here's my experience with reloading expense.
Bases on retail cost of 1200 rounds in Australia, and, cartridge setup cost.

You can add the cost of a redding body die..didn't include that...assume you already own a press, scales...

Broadly, for 1200 rounds.

Retail cost of loaded ammo $3000, au

Brass, Norma, qty 400 $600

Component cost. $800.

Cartridge specific equipment. $1000
(trim pilots, reamers...etc..pretty comprehensive and perhaps not necessary)

So about a "saving" of $600au.

Cost of reload of 20 cases, exc brass, av $15
Cost of purchase of 20 loaded, average, $45

I was lucky...to get some brass , pills n powder bit below retail cost...

Component cost per reload, exc brass, 60c to 80c, Australian dollar., bullet cost being the difference.
Attachments
IMG20210930123422.jpg
IMG20210930123422.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 8965 times
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Post by jwsmith1959 »

I have a Custom .244 Remington that my Dad built for my Mom in the late 50's. It is the same as my 6mm Remington with a slower twist. It has issues with heavier bullets, but I found that the Berger 88 gr. Varmint bullet shoots really well out of it. The best load is really odd over the chrony. It has a crappy ES and SD and strangely shoots a better MOA group at 200 yards than it does at 100. Sometimes, you just have to shoot them to find what works best. I've just about quit trying to figure out the "secret formula" for coming up with a good load. For me, I have found in my more common calibers, I stick with the old tried and true powders and good bullets. I eventually find what works. The Chronograph is a very good tool when you are pushing max velocities, because it can tell you when you go above the manual maximums.

Good luck and all the best.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

The Chronograph is a very good tool when you are pushing max velocities, because it can tell you when you go above the manual maximums.

Good luck and all the best.
[/quote]

You had better what for earlier signs of high pressure i.e. primer flattening and heavy bolt lift, before you rely on the chrony signs of FPS going over, something might give way before your chrony shows something. Play safe and sound and keep you body and firearm intact. :)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

If you're adding more powder without an equivalent increase in speed it's time to stop. Chrony's can give you a heads up.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em