Lee Classic Turret and RCBS Rotary Case Cleaner

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Lee Classic Turret and RCBS Rotary Case Cleaner

Post by skipper »

You know, I hate myself sometimes. Rick in Oregon just had to post pictures of his Dillon progressive press. Being the kind of guy I am, I couldn't help thinking of what it would be like to upgrade my equipment a little. So I stopped by the local reloading store after my range trip this morning and picked up a couple of new toys. After that day long reloading ordeal with the 600 plus 9MM cases that needed to be reloaded I bought a Lee Classic Turret Press. Then I started remembering having to dig media out of primer pockets that weren't really all that clean and decided I needed a rotary tumbler that uses the stainless steel pins to get spent cases squeaky clean. So, $500 later I get in my truck and drive home. Now I have to completely revise my reloading bench and get all the new gear assimilated into my reloading regime. I need to stop looking at other peoples equipment because I can't resist the urge to try new things.
ReloadingEquipment.jpg
ReloadingEquipment.jpg (69.73 KiB) Viewed 3730 times
So after I get everything unboxed and set up, I'll post some reviews of the new toys. Please, someone tell Rick to stop posting pictures of his toys. It's just too much of a temptation. The TiteGroup just waved at me and said it would be glad to tighten up my 9MM groups a little more. :roll: And the Lyman 50th reloading manual - you just can't do without the latest reloading data, can you???

I just heard thunder and checked the weather forecast. Looks like it's going to rain here is Cypress, TX for the rest of the week. :shrug: So what's a guy to do???
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Re: Lee Classic Turret and RCBS Rotary Case Cleaner

Post by randyman »

It's only money! Of course that's what others tell you when you've spent a bunch. I had to try to stop asking questions when I was at RCBS last week because they kept dragging out new stuff to show me. Luckily, I escaped with wallet intact. Randy.
skipper

Post by skipper »

I've got the rotary case cleaner running in the garage right now. I may have to install traction control on that thing. I probably put way too many cases in it cause I had to help it get started.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Skipper you should know better by now not to read some peoples posts and look at their pictures, :wink: It just leads to spending money.. Enjoy your new toys. Bill K :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

So, I'm guessing the rotary case cleaner thingy takes a couple of trys to get the hang of?? I tried to get the two pan separator. Don't remember who makes it. The first pan catches the brass while the second catches the stainless pins. At least that's how it's supposed to work in theory. At least I had the sense enough to put a 5 gallon bucket under the thing when I opened it. Pins went flying. I used the magnet the salesperson talked me into to scoop them up out of the bucket. In the end the brass went in one pile and about 98% of the pins went in the other. I'll check when day breaks in the morning.

Now that's some seriously clean brass!!! I like it!!!
Brass.jpg
Brass.jpg (144.98 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
skipper

Post by skipper »

Houston, we have a problem. Checking my shiny new brass this morning only to find this:
StuckPin.jpg
StuckPin.jpg (68.85 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
Now I have transitioned from picking dry media out of primer pockets to picking steel pins out of 9MM brass. Wouldn't you know my very first cleaning experience would be with the one case that is the EXACT same diameter as the steel pin media. I found this little surprise in at least 20-30 of the cases I cleaned yesterday. At least the inside, outside, and primer pockets are nice and clean.

Watch out vermin. Not only will I be slinging hot lead at ya, I'll throw in some random steel pins as well. :huh:
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Skipper: I have some SS tumbling media that is much smaller than the normal SS like you have. It works very well with all brass and does not hang up in any of them. If I can find the seller from whom I bought this stuff from I will advise.
I do know it was from one of the brass sellers i.e. Brass etc or someone like that. Maybe someone will come back with knowing about it also. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Okay Skipper, now you're doin' it to me! :eek:

After seeing that 9mm brass more shiny than when it came from the factory, I started thinking about how mine looks after coming out of my vibratory tumbler using corncob media. Shiny, yes. As shiny as yours? No.

I've got an RCBS rotary unit that I use for coating bullets. Maybe now I "need" another drum and a batch of SS pins. Hummmm..... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper

Post by skipper »

Yeah Rick, I was amazed at how clean and shiny the brass was even on my first try. Even the inside and primer pockets were just as shiny. I'm waiting for Bill to direct me to the shorter stainless steel pins so I don't have that worry any more.

I got my Lee Classic Turret Press bolted to my reloading bench today. I can see where I may need a few more accessories, but whatever. Just don't post any more pictures of toys. It's too expensive!!!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:01 pmI got my Lee Classic Turret Press bolted to my reloading bench today. I can see where I may need a few more accessories, but whatever. Just don't post any more pictures of toys. It's too expensive!!!
Okay, no more temptation (for now :wink: )

Once you get it all set up properly, post a pic, as everyone always enjoys seeing other's 'man caves' and reloading setups. You'll really like that Lee turret press too, those are sturdy, well engineered, and made with quality materials. It'll last you the rest of your life. A good friend uses one, and produces precision rifle handloads that rival any made on any other press. I'm a believer now.

You've got lots of new toys to play with...we'll leave you alone in your room now..... :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Skipper: Pull up Kramer Industries Inc. ( or call 1-888-515-9443) and check out the listings on Jewelry Mix Media, stainless steel. This may be what you would want to give a try, smaller in size and will not stick in brass.
Web shows various styles and types. Prices are decent. Bill K :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

Whoa, there!! $259 for 5 pounds of stainless steel pins?????????? NO WAY! I liked to had a heart attack there, definitely sticker shock. He must be giving you some great deal.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Check around on those small mediums.. I paid around 24.00 shipped, as I remember. check around on Amazon and some of the sources there also. Bill K :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

I have spent the last couple of days and several trips to the store getting this press set up where it will actually load shells. I still don't have a dedicated crimp die yet and the primer system is on order. BUT, she did manage to turn out some 9MM ammo that I would take to the range without hesitation. The key word when setting one of these up is patients. Lots and lots of patients!
LeeTurretPress.jpg
LeeTurretPress.jpg (136.18 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
Of course, knowing me, I had to take everything apart, clean and inspect it before I even started assembly. I've got a perfectly good RCBS Chargemaaster 1500 under the diaper but I wanted to be able to charge the cases directly through the expander die, SO off to the store to get an Auto Drum Powder Measure. Let's not forget anything while I'm at the store I said to myself more than once. Then I finally figured out why people who own this press use a dedicated crimp die on top of the bullet seating/crimp die. 1) there's a hole for it, 2) it's just too hard to try to seat and get the proper amount of crimp at the same time. Not that it cannot be done but it would require a really long process to set one die to get the proper crimp and the right seating depth. I tried!!! Off to the store for another part. This is getting redundant, uh Déjà Vu. Anyhow, I did finally get the press setup so that everything works and I only need the factory crimp die to finish off this 4 Hole Turret. At least the turrets are removable and cheap enough to set up all my pistol dies on separate turrets. Then all I have to do is change out the turrets to load a different caliber.

Here's a shot of my Man Cave. Yes that's a TV/computer/shooting gallery video game right there in man central. A man has to be able to practice wing shooting while reloading doesn't he?? As you can see I have other presses I've been using for years. The K&N arbor press is the one I use for reloading my competition rounds. The Rock Chucker just keeps on ticking. That thing has frequent flier miles out the wazoo.
SkippersDen.jpg
SkippersDen.jpg (66.42 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
So, would I recommend the Lee Classic Turret Press to others. NO!!! Not that it's not capable or anything like that BUT it's being rapidly replaced by the Auto Breech Lock Pro progressive press. For $165 you can't beat the deal. CAUTION - $165 will get you the basic press. Be prepared to make numerous trips back to the store for incidentals. YMMV
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Lookin' good there Skipper.

I was mistaken with an earlier comment on the Lee turret press....my friend uses a Redding turret press and not a Lee. Sorry for the misdirection.

One thing I've learned well over the years in regard to loading handgun ammo, you do not want to seat and crimp in the same operation. Dillon dies/presses are designed for separate operations, and after being familiar with both methods for along time, I'll say that after much experience with this, I'll never, ever seat and try to crimp all at once....'just doesn't work well, period.

If you've already spent around five bills, you've already spent more than a Dillon RL550C costs, and that puppy will crank out at least 300 rnds/hr with one guy operating it casually, 500 rounds/hour with someone helping. And the ammo it produces.....ah yes, quality ammo every time; suitable for competition.

I've got a fresh Dillon customer service story too, details later, but I'm in awe of their customer service.

Once you get your room all set up and running, we're looking forward to checking it out......looks like you're on the right track. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA