Problem

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Problem

Post by broper »

I had a case head come off while sizing and now the remainder of the case is stuck in my die. I've been reloading since 1968 and never had this happen. I guess in my old age I just didn't check the cases as good as I should have before sizing. They are L C brass and I thought once fired. Anyway does anyone know of a good way to get whats left of the case out of the die? Or do they make a tool for that, I don't remember ever seeing one. It seems to be stuck in there pretty good.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Problem

Post by Bill K »

If a tight wire brush ran into the case and twisted then pulled does not work it out, I have taken a very small pointed pick and worked it between the case and the die body (carefully so as to not mark the die) then pry slowly the case away from it's holding onto the die body. This will often allow you to work the case out.
If not, best to send it to the die maker or take to your gunsmith and have them remove it. Bill K :)
broper

Post by broper »

I'll give it a try, thanks.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Have your tried some judiciously applied heat??
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
broper

Post by broper »

No, I haven't. Someone suggested freezing, that didn't work. Maybe I'll try heat.
broper

Post by broper »

Got it.
skipper

Post by skipper »

What had a positive reaction. Did you narrow it down or did you just muscle it??
broper

Post by broper »

I used a sharp awl and got between the case and the die in two places. That loosened it up, then I pulled it out with needle nose pliers. Inspected it with a light and there was no damage so I cleaned it real good with WD40, dried it out good and put it back together. Ready to go now.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Good deal, glad the die was not damaged. The last thing you need at this time of year is a stuck case in a die!

Smiles again....perfect. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

broper

Post by broper »

Yeah, I'm going to have to inspect the cases better before I run them in the die.
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Post by jwsmith1959 »

Bad way to do it. If you know the inside diameter of the case that is stuck, you can get a tap that will fit and thread the inside of the case. Use plenty of oil so you won't accidently score the chamber.

Once threaded, get a long (LONG) piece of all-thread and screw it into the body of the case (being careful of course). Bounce it out backwards from the chamber.

If you try and collapse the case in the chamber, you will likely damage it forever.

I had a highly reputably gunsmith ruin a custom rifle using that method. Even if it works extracting the case, I would be extra careful shooting anything from this point forward.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Think the case was stuck in a FL sizing die, not the rifle chamber. Nothing wrong with removing it from a die in this manner.
Maybe a chamber, where the metal/chamber is not as hardened as a die is, would not work, but with a die, it works fine.
With even a tap and threading the case, in a rifle chamber, that has to be done with great care or you will or can score the chamber also. Usually when I have had a case stick in the chamber and the head is off, I just run a tight wire brush up it, twist some and out comes the case body with the wire brush. Bill K :)
broper

Post by broper »

Yeah, full length sizing die, not a rifle chamber. I wouldn't attempt a rifle chamber like that no way. Seems like it would be hard to find a tap and all thread the exact right size. Anyway, I got it out and all is well.
skipper

Post by skipper »

You see, now you're our resident expert on getting stuck cases out of FL sizing dies.
broper

Post by broper »

Lol, I sized a few cases to finish up where I left off when the case broke off. Everything worked fine.