My First Handloads

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

My First Handloads

Post by SecretCode »

Well it looks like my savage vlp likes .39 grain sierra blitzking's. Not really a shock from what I've read online for awhile now. I've been buying up reloading supplies and equipment for the last few years and this last year was the time to get serious if I wanted to shoot my 204 again at prairie dogs this year.
20210424_215005_compress38.jpg
20210424_215005_compress38.jpg (910.89 KiB) Viewed 11498 times
Was a great evening to test out loads. 48 degrees F and started with a 5-6 mph wind which diminished into a 1-3 mph gust from dead calm before sunset.
20210424_185856_compress14.jpg
20210424_185856_compress14.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 11498 times
Was only testing Sierra's and Speer 39 grain TNT hp.
Both were loaded with IMR 8208 XBR and straight out of each manufacturer's manual's for them with that powder.
The best I could do for the Speer was .832. Not completely done with either. Just don't have alot lot of powder to go messing with load development right now.

But still had fun and I'm thrilled. Easily the best group I've ever shot. I know it's not much to all of you veteran handloaders but it's a little bit of a milestone for me.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: My First Handloads

Post by Bill K »

Not a thing wrong with that grouping and it will serve you very well on those critters and others. Nice looking set up and the area looks good that you are shooting in. And Thank you for the photo's, we love photo's. Now some of the contestants in your acrobatic lessons are in order, next time :D
SecretCode

Post by SecretCode »

Thanks Bill. I can't wait for May/June. Hopefully be another great year for dogs, we only really had 2-3 weeks of super cold this year in Feb. Mild as far as North Dakota winters go.

i would like to load another 10 or so of that same charge weight and just see if I can replicate or come close to that group size. Who know's, the stars might have just aligned for me that day.
Last edited by SecretCode on Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SecretCode

Post by SecretCode »

I also realized this could probably have been in the Reloading the 204 section but if any mods would like it moved by all means please do.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Way to go there, SC. That's a decent group by any standards, and especially good considering your experience so far at handloading. :D

With that, you're off to a very good start. The 39gr SBK has been known for very good accuracy in the .20's, but I've not seen much in that department regarding the Speer TNT by comparison. I'd concentrate on the SBK if it were me. You might also consider trying the 32 grainers for PD's. They shoot much better than you'd think under 350 yards, and lets be honest, most rat shooting takes place at or under 350, no matter how many "long pokes" you take.

I just returned from over a week in the rat patch, and once again, I was amazed at just how well the 32gr performs in the field, even in moderate wind conditions. My long shot this trip was only 402 yards (ground squirrels), but it was in a full-value 8 mph crosswind. So don't ignore the 32's, as they're also easier to find at this point in time right now.

That 402 yard shot was taken here at the distant fence line seen in the pic. My wind flag is not in the pic, but it was at a 45* angle, telling me the wind was 8-10 mph at the time of the shot. That rat launched at the shot, doing a magnificent gut-flip. Rat exiting stage right, his guts to stage left. :lol: Always entertaining.

One more tidbit.....your group is very nice indeed. Now experiment with seating depth with that same load. You may find the "Pet Load" you're looking for, and be even happier. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

First SC, Rick's advise is very good and he is a old sage on this subject.
Second: Rick very nice looking pivot/field there. And I totally agree with you on the use of the 32 grain bullet. 95% of mine is with that weight in my 20 calibers and they do a fine job up to the 350-400 yrd mark, even tho many think they don't.
And as you said, most of our shots are taken from 350 and under. But those pokes further can be exciting also. :D

And thank you for the photo, you, me and other love photo's, as we know. :D :D
SecretCode

Post by SecretCode »

32 grain varmagedons are defiantly on the list to try. I have both tipped and hollow point to try sometime. way more hollow points than tipped as that was all I could find and on sale to boot but looking forward to trying both. The reason I bought the Speers was cost, not bad trying to find a projectile a little over half the cost of the blitzking with acceptable accuracy.

Rick, I bet it feels good to get back out and after Skippy, it didn't sound like you made it out last year thanks to the china flu friggin' up the world.

Thanks guys.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SecretCode wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:11 amRick, I bet it feels good to get back out and after Skippy, it didn't sound like you made it out last year thanks to the china flu friggin' up the world.
SC, you're correct on both points. Especially finally being able to get out and do it properly after being ripped off by the frigin' CCP and their WuFlu. It sure was good to be in the field, in the morning sunshine with good friends and a wicked accurate rifle. Life is good again. :D

I just wish I could share the joy with more of my friends, but we're now limited to the number of shooters at any one time. Guess we're lucky to still have prime shooting, but it sucks to now have limitations. I'm already missing the "old days", and that was only a couple of years ago!

BTW, those 32gr Varmageddon's shoot very well in all my .20 cal rifles. The tipped version is the best shooting in my 20VT, even 'seconds', which were used for both the BT's and VG's on the target.

The other 'best shooting bullet' in my rifles is the 32 and 39gr SBK's, but as I'm so close to Nosler, my stash is mostly the BT and VG Tipped, not to mention Nosler 'Seconds" shoot so well, I'm not in the mood to pay the going price for the Sierra's. But it's sure is good to have so many good .20 caliber options available.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Rick: With you knowledge and contact with Nosler, any info on when they will have more of the 20 cal tipped lead free back on line ? I have a good supply of them, but sure would like to obtain a few more. And like you even seconds work just great. :)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sorry Bill, can't really help, as their production schedule varies at any given time. The only way to find out is to call and talk to their CS.....if even he knows, as it varies so much due to demand, usually hunting calibers. :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

That is kind of what I thought. I keep getting the flyers from Shooters Pro Shop, stating bullets back in, etc. but every time I open it, then all the one's I would like show "Not in, or Out of Stock" very frustrating. Thank you for your response.
For now it is just keep heading out, shooting critters and watching for the bullets I am after. :D Just a sign of the times, right now. :mad: