Opinions on handloading new brass-

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Opinions on handloading new brass-

Post by Tom Kat »

What do you do to brand new brass? Full length size? Nothing? I have a box of brand new Winchester brass for my Tikka rifle. Its tempting to measure the brass length and load some up just for testing purposes...
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Opinions on handloading new brass-

Post by Bill K »

I usually just neck size, so I know the neck is even, check the length and trim, if necessary, then just load it and shoot. :D
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Bill K wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:35 pm I usually just neck size, so I know the neck is even, check the length and trim, if necessary, then just load it and shoot. :D
Thats kind of what I am leaning towards. This happens to be Winchester brass, not the best IMO but new is new....
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I think you just opened Pandora'a box. Bound to be some discussion on this thread. Just to add a little discussion, you might want to check the primer holes for burrs. Uniform the pockets??
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

skipper wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:39 pm I think you just opened Pandora'a box. Bound to be some discussion on this thread. Just to add a little discussion, you might want to check the primer holes for burrs. Uniform the pockets??
I believe you're right WRT Pandora's Box. I do suppose it depends on the brass itself. Unless it's high end stuff, I'd definitely F/L size it, uniform the primer pockets, deburr the flash hole, chamfer the inside & outside of the neck, measure the neck uniformity and turn cases as necessary.

Is it a nuisance? Well, it all depends but it beats pulling weeds in the yard and besides, you only have to do this once.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Agree on the Pandora's box.. There will be hundreds of different suggestions on what too do. Each of us do what we think is needed at or with a given new case. ;)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I wish they were anything but Winchester. I have had great luck with Norma and Lapua in the past, just load and go....

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Neck tension is a subject that has me interested.

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

If you're interested in neck tension you might like a K&M arbor press with a strain gauge. It can tell you how much force you are applying while seating bullets. Very helpful, in my opinion.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

skipper wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:39 am If you're interested in neck tension you might like a K&M arbor press with a strain gauge. It can tell you how much force you are applying while seating bullets. Very helpful, in my opinion.
I have never heard of that but I can see where it could keep things consistent.

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'ts always amused me as to why anyone would FL size virgin brass. For example, take one out of the box or bag and chamber it in your rifle before doing anything to it. It will freely drop right into the chamber.....so why would you want to FL size it if it already fits? Why over work new brass by sticking it into a full length sizing die? It's already been done at the factory prior to shipping.

I only neck size virgin brass, but prior to doing that, I uniform the primer pocket. Once neck sized, I chamfer/deburr the neck and check for length. I seldom ever trim new brass, as it will change slightly after going through any die. Trimming is saved for at least after one firing. We won't discuss neck turning, as that's an entirely different subject and does not apply to factory chambers unless the user just wants to reduce "high or low" spots in the case neck thickness.

This issue has been address ad nauseum here and elsewhere. After handloading for over 50 years, it's become apparent that many people don't understand the primary differences between FL and neck sizing. Then add in the benefits of using the Body Die that only corrects the shoulder and body dimensions. In my die inventory for each rifle is FL, Body and Neck dies, usually bushing dies for my target/varmint rifles with custom barrels and chambers. A FL die is the least used die here, and I'm still using some brass from the late 70's in my rifles.

JMO JME
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

The reason I F/L [non Lapua or Norma] brass is I've seen LOTS where it was just as wobbly as some of those economic recovery plans in Olympia & Salem. It doesn't take much effort and it straightens them right out. Sure, I could shoot it and it'd do the same but with components they way they are now, I find it's pretty quick to do although not as much fun.

Norma & Lapua, I neck size them and maybe re chamfer the inside of the neck, Otherwise, they're pretty much load & go. I haven't tried Nosler brass.

One thing I didn't see or overlooked was the use in semi-auto rifles. They get a F/L size every time.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

]I have been using Nosler, Hornady, and Lapua brass. It spoiled me. This winchester brass leaves a lot to be desired so far. The necks were beat up so I ran all of the through the expander ball on my RCBS die. After that I started measuring the cases and most were over Sami length so I will end up trimming all of them as well.
Attachments
20211118_170934.jpg
20211118_170934.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 9746 times
20211118_170917.jpg
20211118_170917.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 9746 times
20211118_170917.jpg
20211118_170917.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 9746 times

John Maynard Keynes
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

I FL size all my virgin brass, no matter who made it.
Why? Because a number of years ago I traveled to a match a fair distance and had ammo that would not chamber due to a case size issue, because I had not FL sized it. Will NEVER happen again.

I use a FL bushing die on a lot of mine any more. I bump my shoulders on 90% of my loads anymore. It doesn’t kill brass. I had a lot of issues that I caused myself. Watch Eric Cortinas YouTube on the subject.

In years past I did a full match prep on brass short of neck turning. Time spent and any accuracy return was a wash, for an off the rack rifle.
If I do a full prep anymore it is a neck turn chamber as well.

What ever preps you decide need to be done is right. Never go to the line or the bench with doubts or questions in your head. Some of the things that we do add nothing more than confidence to our selves.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

20211123_172048.jpg
20211123_172048.jpg (3.03 MiB) Viewed 9640 times

John Maynard Keynes