Opinions on handloading new brass-

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
K22
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber

Re: Opinions on handloading new brass-

Post by K22 »

Thanks Tom. It was an eye opener.

I think I'm the odd man out here. I try and go with 2 different loads or 2 different rifles. I load 6 rounds of a particular load for each rifle, then I shoot 3 rounds of a particular load, move over to the other rifle doing the same. Then I go back to the first rifle and fire the other 3 loads at the same bullseye, then once again doing the same with the first rifle. It generally will tell me if my loads are good or need some work.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

20211128_152507.jpg
20211128_152507.jpg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 7064 times
20211128_144558.jpg
20211128_144558.jpg (6.19 MiB) Viewed 7064 times
Today was a nice day for KS in late November so I decided to start load development. None of these were great but K22 had the load that shows promise.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

20211128_151300.jpg
20211128_151300.jpg (3.87 MiB) Viewed 7064 times
Attachments
20211128_151124.jpg
20211128_151124.jpg (3.65 MiB) Viewed 7064 times
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I think #2 would be good with some adjustments.

John Maynard Keynes
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

skipper wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:20 am Three shot groups are very dependent on YOUR accuracy. I like five shot groups when load developing. You might miss a really good node due to a pulled shot. I also like to repeat ladder tests whenever I'm in doubt.
I'm with you, 5-shot groups unless its a larger caliber hunting rifle with a thin barrel and then it's 3-shots and follow on from there.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish? If this is a ladder test, I don't see how you can rely on any of the information you have providing here. For my ladder tests I chose 1 bullet (same manufacturer, weight and lot number for each shot of the ladder test), 1 Powder (same lot number and manufacturer). 1 case (Same manufacturer and prepped as identical as possible), and 1 primer (Same manufacturer same lot number). I load five rounds with SAY 25.0 of Reloader 10X (exact same COAL, then another five at 25.2 same COAL, etcetera until I span the reloading manual load data from minimum to maximum. Then I go shoot shoot them, from the same gun, as accurately as possible in groups of 5. Each group a .X grain higher than the last (I usually increase by .2 gr. increments). Then I review the results by group size. IF you are changing anything besides one variable at a time, I don't see how your results have meaning. IF you're just funning with us. WELL Okay.

In the picture above you're changing numerous variables according to the data.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
K22

Post by K22 »

My load is 25gr. of 8208, LC brass, R-p 7 1/2 primer, and Sierra 55gr. #1365. I don't remember off hand my seating depth.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Maybe you have me confused, but if you are only using the one load you last mentioned, then you are not doing a ladder test ( which most or all of us do, as Skipper showed) 3 or 5 ( your choice) with each change until you find one or two, too your rifles likeing, then vary the seating depth on those and tune them, for the best grouping. :)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I am not doing a ladder test. I am doing a wide net test. I have a ton of different bullets. Step one is to shoot many of them and see what bullet the gun may like. So far it likes the 1365 sierra. I will fire some more and then fine tune from there

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Skipper I am not funning with you. I am looking for a load for a new rifle.

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

The original post was asking about loading new brass. I assume that this brass will be used for load development, correct? I keep 25 - 30 fully prepped cases ready for load development all the time. I don't use them for anything else. I would suggest that you prepare yours to be as identical as possible. I prefer to use once fired brass that is pressure formed to my rifle's chamber by firing. (it has to be the same rifle you're going to test) Then neck size them, uniform the primer pockets, de-burr the flash holes, trim all to the same length, chamfer inside and outside, and anneal them if that's possible, then sort them by weight. That removes most of the variables, a huge factor in any ladder test. Then keep them separated from the brass you use for target practice, etc. That way you have a set of competition ready brass to use for load development. There's a really great article on 6mmbr.com that walks you through the case prep routine: https://www.6mmbr.com/JGcaseprep.html Check it out!!

Then we can discuss ladder testing. I think it is high time we circled back and examined how to do that with great detail. We have a lot of newer members. Your rifle will thank you and you'll be much happier.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Thank you. The good news is I did careful brass prep as you described except for the flash hole. Yes all the same winchester brass, neck sized and trimmed. I will holler when ladder test time comes.

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TK: In regard to your using new WW brass, be aware that those cases have punched primer pocket holes, and not drilled as in Lapua and other high-end brass cases. For that reason alone, you should make reaming/chamfering those primer holes a regular regimen of prep work, as those punched holes always have large burrs that deflect the flame from the primer, making every flame different.....and degrading consistency, the one thing you're after. I use a K&M tool, but there's many others to choose from.

The advice from Skipper is spot-on too.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Even some like Lapua can have issues with primer hole and burrs/debris in them. Maybe not as often as others, but best to prep all the primer pockets inside and out, for a complete and proper case prep. :)

Infact there is an article, right now on Accurate Shooter's site, showing some with top line brass.
K22

Post by K22 »

I see where many shooting Coyotes with a 223 are recommending the Speer 52gr. hp flat base bullets. I noticed in Tom's photo a box of Speer 52gr. hp bullets, while they don't look like the flat base bullets, they still might be another good choice.