Opinions on handloading new brass-

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Re: Opinions on handloading new brass-

Post by Tom Kat »

20211123_172121.jpg
20211123_172121.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 7104 times
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Okay, two pics of brass prep tools without any descriptive text......what is your point?

We all have bench brass prep tools, are you just showing off yours for some unknown reason? Should we all now show our tools? :huh:
Warning: I've been at this since 1968....are you sure you really want to see all mine? :chin: Doubtful.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick, why use words when I know that you know what I am doing? These pictures wouldnt make sense to a priest, a banker, or the general public... There will be more pictures coming, and then GROUP PARTICIPATION!! It will all make sense in 3-4 more posts, just hang on. Besides, words get tiresome...

These are steps to a process that will reveal its self in time. You will be an important part of the equation. In fact, I need your help.

Stay patient my man, I roll to a different drummer than most, but my song is soooo sweet!!!!
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Since 1968....I was 6 years old then, and I am 60 now....Hmmmmmmmmm you may be older than me! LOL

I am seldom the youngster anymore, but I will take it !!!

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Humm. 60, good age. However my oldest is 66. Just for record, if anyone cares, I started reloading in 1956, with a 30-06, then added a 222 Rem and like so many other just went into the deep six with hundreds of other firearms and reloading dies and equipment. It is a very pleasant hobby and sport, if you want it too be, plus all the hunting and just plain old plinking. Guess what I am now 83, going on 84 and still enjoying it.
And I sure hope everyone else on board does also, for as long as we can. You sure don't want to look into my reloading room/den. Bill K :D :D

( I forgot to mention, if you want to see photo's of reloading equipment, then pull up any reloading manual, or the various catalogs issued by producers of such and look away. )
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:09 amStay patient my man, I roll to a different drummer than most, but my song is soooo sweet!!!!
Okay then, we'll sit tight and see what song you're singing. Have at it!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

20211127_133609.jpg
20211127_133609.jpg (4.54 MiB) Viewed 7045 times
All pieces are trimmed and chamfered. These are the primers I will use for load development.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

20211127_134138.jpg
20211127_134138.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 7041 times
Now for the group participation part. The following pictures are components I have on hand. I am hoping my new rifle will like a 50 - 55 grn bullet. The gun is a Tikka T3 lite with 1:8 twist. I know I will have to wait and see what it likes...

Does any one have any thoughts and comments? Thanks in advance.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

20211127_151443.jpg
20211127_151443.jpg (4.05 MiB) Viewed 7041 times
20211127_151441.jpg
20211127_151441.jpg (3.82 MiB) Viewed 7041 times

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I have warm fuzzy feelings for the 53 gr Sierra Match Kings...I killed lots of coyotes with those in .22-250. This rifle is a .223 But who knows what this gun will like? The journey is half the fun...

John Maynard Keynes
K22
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber

Post by K22 »

Ok, I'll play.
First, I started reloading around 1977, so my reloading room/table is quite full also, but occasionally I still ask for help. In fact, this maybe hard to believe, but yesterday for the first time in all those years of reloading I had a 223 round blow the primer clear out of the pocket, jammed the bolt and gave me a face full of burning powder. This was the very first round fired yesterday and a load I had upped the powder charge by .2 gr. I had shot it in another identical (LOL) rifle with no issues. No pressure signs in the rifle that the primer blew out of at .2gr. below that. Later, when I recovered my nerves I shot the remainder in the other 223 and all was good. My best guess, bad primer pocket, but I'm still not 100% sure.
I'm assuming you are loading for Coyote hunting so my pick would be Sierra 55gr. sp #1365 with IMR8208. 24.8gr. would be my starting point, but noticed I said "MY" starting point.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Man I am glad you are ok!

I will eventually use this gun for coyote hunting. I have a dog town about 3 hours away from me on private ground I will hit this spring. So I was hoping to use a lighter bullet....you can see that I have a good supply of .224 bullets. A friend gave me quite a few, he is too old to get out these days. I was thinking I might start out with 3 of the heaviest, 3 of the lightest, and 3 of me favorite 53 gr Match King bullets. If I am lucky, one of them will show some promise. But who knows? I am not afraid to buy more powder or bullets, but like the idea of using what I already have if possible.

A starting point...look at the 2021 Hodgdons published load data, which I have, and start at the midway point on some of the powders I have.

Do you guys think a 3 shot group is a good way to test? How do you do load development? I have been impressed with the level of experience and am hoping that some of you will share your knowledge with me. I have been handloading for 20 years, so I am a newbie on this forum. I feel like I have a lot to learn and will listen to whatever advice you can give me. Thanks in advance Rick in Oregon, Bill K, and the rest of you. I respect my elders-

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Three shot groups are very dependent on YOUR accuracy. I like five shot groups when load developing. You might miss a really good node due to a pulled shot. I also like to repeat ladder tests whenever I'm in doubt.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Thanks Skipper. 5 it is.

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I usually start with a 3 shot group, to limit the time to find a couple of groups that look promising. Then I go to a five shot group, in 1/10th groups with those and find the best, then repeat it with various seating depths on the bullet. Then when I find one or two that are grouping tight, I check for repeatability.
That way I feel better than the group will hold up when I am out in a pivot on GS's and shooting more. :)