.357 revisited after a long absence.

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

.357 revisited after a long absence.

Post by Tom Kat »

My wife's work friend became a widow 2 years ago as her husband was killed right after he retired in a tractor accident. Long story short, I got some of his reloading stuff. In one of the boxes was some 158 gr JHP bullets and cases. I happened to have some win SP MPs but dont own a .357 mag anymore.

I decided to load them up and give them to my cousin, who has done lots of nice things for me. So according to my notes, I have not reloaded a .357 mag for over 10 years.

I ended up using 8 gr of HS-6. I was happy that I can still make a roll crimp when i need too.
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: .357 revisited after a long absence.

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I too just finished up a batch of .357's with my hard cast Keith 173gr SWC's over Unique. Got to keep those Smith's fed with good stuff. For my .38 load, I use a 140gr hard cast Lyman bullet, and for when I do carry my 3" M60 .38 Spl, it's stoked with Hornady 125gr HP's, and two handloaded snake shot rounds with #12 birdshot for snakes in the summer here and in the outback. For my revolver rounds, I'm still using my old P/W Metal Matic progressive. Eventually I suppose I'll set up my Dillon RL550 for my revolvers too.....eventually.

At this time of year with 18" of snow on the ground, it's a good time to be in the gun room operating a press. And if I do go out to my range, I take one of my revolvers so I don't have to lose brass in the snow. Hot brass from an auto-pistol goes right to mother earth in this stuff = gone till spring. I'm just finishing up my last 100 rnds of .20VT for our upcoming Rat Rodeo too come spring warmup. All my 204R ammo is done and boxed up ready for Skippy's big launch time also. :wink:

Now we just have to get rid of this pesky winter stuff!

A recent 9mm frenzy on my Dillon loading up my carry load of the Hornady 124gr FTX SD load over a stiff load of TiteGroup which duplicates the factory load at just over 1,050 fps.

Now it's time to go back out and shovel the frozen solid snow berm the city did that so nicely blocked my previously shoveled driveway...grrrrr. :wall:

But Tom, you get kudo's for loading up all that .357 158gr stuff for your cousin. I hope he knows how fortunate he is, and what a great cousin you are to him. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Thats nice of you to say. He is family, but we are also friends. He has done a LOT for me. I idolized his dad (my Uncle Red) who was a machinist, gunsmith, and reloader extroridnaire. He taught me so much about guns, reloading, and life I can never thank him enough. When he passed, my cousin Mike gave me one of his benches, a lot of powder, bullets, brass and a few tools.

Anyway Mike and I have hunted and fished together for...over 45 years. He gave me a box of 20 gauge high brass #4 shot so I could take out some varmints. The least I can do is give him some extra .357 (and .223 ammo for 2 rifles Uncle Red left him).
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick you gave me an idea for another thread RE: hunting buddys....Cousin Mike and I have killed piles and piles and piles of birds together.

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:46 pmRick you gave me an idea for another thread RE: hunting buddys....Cousin Mike and I have killed piles and piles and piles of birds together.
The only hunting buddies I have left are my rat shooting crew. All my big game and bird huntin' buddies are in the promised land, all having passed some time ago, so you won't see my byline on your new thread TK. Seems the older we get, the number of true friends diminishes over the years.

Treasure the friends we have while they're still here to enjoy, once gone, there's a empty spot in our lives. :roll:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Rick's comment is along the lines mine would be also. All the one's I hunted with and shot with are also buried, except one that moved to another state, so I have been on my own now for over three years. So enjoy the one's you still have while you can do so.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

My good friend Joe is the guy I mostly duck hunt with. He is the youngster of the crew at age 42. He has young kids who I hope will carry my decoys and go duck hunting when I am in my 70's. Thats my dream anyway.

And I get it, the older you get, the less friends you have. They are hard to replace for sure.

John Maynard Keynes