The plunk test

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: The plunk test

Post by skipper »

It's funny that you say you'll never own another Remington. The Remington 700 action is one of the most reliable actions I have ever known. I still have several. Of course they are at least 20 years old.

Remington actions were used by the military extensively years ago. The good ole farm boys from the country could probably relate to them, half way around the world, because they hunted with them at home. It probably wasn't the company itself, just a bad rifle. IDK, cause I've never owned an ADL. I used to hate Smith & Wessons because of an early model 9mm auto that just sucked. Now S&W triggers are the measure of what I think of as crisp and clean.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

That struck me the same way. I have and have owned Rem 700's for years, even a couple in ADL models and have never had any issues with them, but they are and have been bought from about 20 years back.
And remember some very fine sniper rifles, used by well known shooters used them, when they were in the military. So they had to reliable.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The M700 in military form was the M24 or M240, depending on what branch was using it (Army or USMC). Carlos Hathcock used a pre-'64 M70 and the M240 (M700) in RVN and racked up an impressive KIA count. No mention of any failure using the M700 action in combat....none.

Perhaps ONE man who had ONE failure (mechanical or user?) using the platform really does not have credence here, as with literally hundreds of thousands of users (millions?) around the world using the M700, I'm not prone to listen to one isolated "failure". That failure could have easily been a short stroke on the bolt using a push-feed action, causing a jam. We'll never know.

Same could be said for ONE person who blew a shot at a coyote using an AR with neck sized brass, as most every experienced shooter I know F/L sizes any brass for a gas gun, even going as far as using small base dies for the AR. So to never neck size again when the conversation was clearly about bolt action varmint rifles makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I personally have used the M700 action for varmint rifle builds since 1970, probably around 14 of them over the years. Other than adding aftermarket triggers, firing pins and springs, trick bolt handles and single shot adaptors, I've never, ever experienced a failure of any kind in the Remington M700 platform. Perhaps I've just been fortunate.

We gain knowledge from both experience and reading. But to take anecdotal "advice" or "experience" from questionable sources is not gaining knowledge, quite the opposite, and can lead to unintended consequences.

Remember the saying: "Just because you read it on the internet does not make it true". :chin:

Gads, we've strayed about as far as possible from the post title...."plunk test"...... :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:54 am The M700 in military form was the M24 or M240, depending on what branch was using it (Army or USMC). Carlos Hathcock used a pre-'64 M70 and the M240 (M700) in RVN and racked up an impressive KIA count. No mention of any failure using the M700 action in combat....none.

Perhaps ONE man who had ONE failure (mechanical or user?) using the platform really does not have credence here, as with literally hundreds of thousands of users (millions?) around the world using the M700, I'm not prone to listen to one isolated "failure". That failure could have easily been a short stroke on the bolt using a push-feed action, causing a jam. We'll never know.

Same could be said for ONE person who blew a shot at a coyote using an AR with neck sized brass, as most every experienced shooter I know F/L sizes any brass for a gas gun, even going as far as using small base dies for the AR. So to never neck size again when the conversation was clearly about bolt action varmint rifles makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I personally have used the M700 action for varmint rifle builds since 1970, probably around 14 of them over the years. Other than adding aftermarket triggers, firing pins and springs, trick bolt handles and single shot adaptors, I've never, ever experienced a failure of any kind in the Remington M700 platform. Perhaps I've just been fortunate.

We gain knowledge from both experience and reading. But to take anecdotal "advice" or "experience" from questionable sources is not gaining knowledge, quite the opposite, and can lead to unintended consequences.

Remember the saying: "Just because you read it on the internet does not make it true". :chin:

Gads, we've strayed about as far as possible from the post title...."plunk test"...... :eek:

Rick, if you met me in real life you would like me, I have always got along well with people. Sorry I rubbed your fur backwards, but I am like Elvis and Frank Sinatra, I did it my way.

Best wishes always- TK
Last edited by Tom Kat on Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom, check your PM's.
Best wishes to you also.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Tom Kat wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:06 am I scanned your list for Golden Sabers and there they were!! But not in a good way....I was also surprised to see XTPs didnt get 100 %. Those are 2 bullets with a good reputation. Maybe its just marketing.
Tom...where the Hornady XTP took a down check in comparison to some others was due to bullet loss.

9mm Glock 17: beginning weight 115 gr, recovered weight 108gr
9mm Glock 19: beginning weight 115 gr, recovered weight 115gr
10mm S&W 1006: beginning weight 180 gr, recovered weight 150.4gr.

Expansion from the G17 was .566". The best expansion was had by Federal HST @ .691" from a HK VPN. At most, these two lost only .5gr of bullet weight.

Everything else about them were top notch.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

I wouldnt want to be shot by any of them
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:59 pmI wouldnt want to be shot by any of them
Tom, great thoughtful response after Jim went to all the time and trouble to give statistical, detailed information on the bullets you showed interest in.

Not trying to be a hard-a$$ here, I'm just missing the old content we used to have on this forum, informative, interesting, friendly exchange of information and experience. What I'm seeing recently is not informative, nor interesting. Can we please get back on track here?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I can understand Rick to some degree about sticking to the subject and the original reason for the 204R site. However some of the added discussion and comments sure has livened up the site, from a few weeks back to a lot more, even if from a few, to some activity.
So I guess it can be like a two edged sword.