How do the best shooters in the world resize their brass?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

How do the best shooters in the world resize their brass?

Post by Tom Kat »

I think this video is interesting- It's a follow up to the one I posted this past week.

https://youtu.be/vaqg4sJvg24?si=QTn0xMDpbx1GvR10
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: How do the best shooters in the world resize their brass?

Post by skipper »

I have been using this method for case prep since I ran across it years ago. This is my Bible when it comes to case prep, especially for my bench rest 204R. Not so much for my Remington XR 100. I specifically remember Silverfox scolding me for posting this method. That's alright I'm a natural born tinkerer anyhow.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technic ... case-prep/

One interesting point is that this is new brass prep. Yes, the process starts with full length sizing for obvious reasons. Interestingly though, later in the process the author uses bushing neck sizing die to create uniform neck tension. I don't know too many reloader that use both a full length die and then follow up with a bushing neck sizing die.

Speedy Gonzales, renown bench rest shooter, built my rifle. If he is saying to full length size, I believe him. However, he specifically said to use the Redding S type dies. They were designed by bencherest shooters. They come in a set. Even the Full Length S Type sizing die uses bushings to control the neck tension.

typesbushingdie.jpg
typesbushingdie.jpg (14.71 KiB) Viewed 466 times
elite_type_s.png
elite_type_s.png (40.12 KiB) Viewed 466 times

This was taken from the Redding website:

Type S – Full Bushing Die
  • *Full length resizing while maintaining exact control of the case neck is often desirable in one operation. The new Type S - Full Length Resizing/Bushing Die accomplishes this task with the precision you would expect from Redding.

*Uses the same interchangeable bushings (.001" increments) as those used in our bushing style neck sizing dies.

*The adjustable decapping rod allows you to adjust the bushing position, sizing only part of the neck length when desired.

*Concentricity is enhanced by the ability of the bushing to self-center on the neck of the cartridge case.

*All Type S (except 17 and 20 Cal.) dies are supplied with both the standard size button and a decapping pin retainer for the advantages and versatility described under our Type S - Bushing Style Neck Sizing Dies.

I bought a set of these dies back when they first hit the market. I only FL size new brass. After that I use the S Type Bushing Neck sizing die only. YMMV
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Did you see Speedy in the video? I never heard of him until yesterday. But I am more of a field shooter than a competition shooter.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

The first one interviewed was Speedy. He's in several other videos from Erik Cortina. Also notice that Speedy said that "we" are the ones that invented the S Die. Meaning the bench rest shooters. When Speedy speaks, you should really listen. He casually imparts wisdom like it's nothing. He's in the Bench Rest Shooters Hall of Fame. He's won so many matches that it's unreal. Wether you're a competition shooter or not you can learn a lot just from using their techniques.

Watch the Erik Cortina video on annealing brass. He tries to make a point about over annealing brass and its detrimental effects. In the end he learns that what he initially perceived as over annealing was actually producing a more consistent neck tension. Get a Wilson inline seating die and an arbor press with a strain gauge and you'll learn a lot about neck tension. I believe that the Inside of the case neck is where the real emphasis should be during prep. If you clean your barrel why wouldn't you clean the inside of the your case neck. They get fouled just the same as a barrel.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Thats good advice and makes sense. I do clean my barrels and chambers and will pay better attention to my case necks

John Maynard Keynes