How picky are you when it comes to weighing bullets and bras

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
kirbymagnum

How picky are you when it comes to weighing bullets and bras

Post by kirbymagnum »

(1) What is your tolerance when sorting bullets? Keep the bullets with in .1-.2 grain difference sounds close to me but don't have any experience and need some advice.

(2) What is your tolerance when sorting brass?

Im looking for the best accuracy I can get but I dont want to waste my time so any help would be great.
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

I sometimes weigh bullets but have never weighed a bra.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Unless you're shooting BR competition, it's not worth the effort for either. The factories keep such close tolerances these days, that your factory rifle will never notice the difference, especially for field shooting. If you sorted both, you'd be lucky to notice a .1" difference at the target, shot from the bench.

Personally, I'd just concentrate on good brass prep, proper primer seating, in-line bullet seating, and seating depth. That, along with proper bench technique will give you about all your factory rifle is capable of giving, accuracy-wise, assuming your rifle has been floated and bedded properly, and has a good trigger and optics.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

Thanks for the help.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

The thought of weighing brass and bullets flashed thru my mind for one nanosecond this last weekend. I was staring thru my binos watching my son connect on several shots at pds in a row out around 400 yds. with his .204. It dawned on me (for that nanosecond) that weighing cases and bullets would serve a purpose I haven't even concieved yet.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The longest shot I've ever made on a critter, was in Montana, on an unlucky prairie dog, shooing my custom Holland M700 .243 Ackley, hit the dog on the second shot at a lasered 841 yards. That bullet and the brass had NOT been weighed.

That about sums it up for me. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

FWIW-- My application does not warrant weighing/sorting. I say this because I might only go thru 100rds of CF per year. I shoot probably 500 rimfires tho. More on some years if I can get to the range more often. I think if you are doing volume/long range(Over 400yds to me) shooting then you can benefit from it. I don't have the numbers of targets here & I don't like to burn CF rds at the range. I go there for the pure enjoyment of teaching my wife to be a better shooter. She will shoot some CF(221-204,357 Marlin) but she really likes the RF more. Especially my MKII Target 22LR.

I think your own situation should dictate to what extent you want to go to for creating quality hand rolled ammo. Bad bench technique will ruin a perfect hand load anyhow.

You got very good advice once again from these guys. And more importantly,, they are long distance volume shooters that probably reload more in a year than a lot of us reload in 5 years. Especially me!! :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

I never weigh brass and i shoot berger bullet's. I think like rick, That brass preparation is way more important for good reloading. And i even neck turn my brass as i could see just a little smaller group size doing it not much but some any ways. Some say it dosen't matter in factory guns but it did in mine and i enjoy doing it. But that's all up to you.
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

If I were a benchrest shooter I woould weigh and make sure all brass was also the same length. But for p-dogs, coyotes and big game that kind of precision is not needed. If you have the time and the inclination of course go for it, otherwise spend more time shootin' & loadin'.