Over pressure

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
hozz57

Over pressure

Post by hozz57 »

I decided on a Remington mod 700 VSSF in cal 220 Swift to use as a cool down/long distance splat factor gun to take along with my .204 Ruger. I chose H380 under some 55 gr Vmax pills and started my load work up. I live in Arizona(= hot in summer) so I always put my loaded ammo in a cooler with some of those ice packs and I keep them in there until I am ready to slip them in the chamber.

Everything was going as planned until I was distracted and left a loaded shell in the gun for about 2 minutes. I felt an extra jolt of recoil and had to stand up to get enough leverage to open the bolt.

Now primers just fall right out of the pocket and you can see that the lettering is peened out.
[url]Image

I decided to change powders, I went with Varget which is an extreme powder. I still use a cooler on the real hot days and I make sure I don't load until I am ready to shoot. :!:
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Is that an impression of the extractor groove right there beside the F and T? I certainly wouldn't do that again.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

That certainly is the dreadded extractor "shiny spot" and no I hope never to do that again :oops:
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
pathmaker

Post by pathmaker »

One of those live and learn ordeals we all go through them,good choice Varget.