Bullet stuck in barrel

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Outlaws

Bullet stuck in barrel

Post by Outlaws »

This has not happened to me.....yet. (knock on wood) But I would like to know what to do in the event it happens. I just read the thread about detonation with reloads and it got me thinking about squibs.

Would it be better to get it out while the barrel is still hot at the range? (theoretically the barrel would be expanded but then I doubt it would be enough to help) Wait until you get home and can assess the situation? Always push out the bullet to the nearest exit, muzzle, or to the chamber? Cry? Will the barrel be relegated to a plinker?
Last edited by Outlaws on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Bullet stuck in barrel

Post by Hotshot »

Take it home, pour in some lube and tap it out using a wooden dowel near the size of the bore. I'd take it to the nearest end.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Had to do it once, not my gun. My buddy picked up some cheap reloads for his 30-06. I soaked it down with Kroil for a couple hours and used a brass 'drop rod' poked it right out.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
bushymonster
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 204 Fluted 24" Match Grade Beauty

Post by bushymonster »

I know a guy that had a T/C 32 cal black powder rifle and he got it out with the bullet puller. It worked for him.
Randy
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

I have seen this done with a pistol...TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Out shooting with some friends that have a ton more knowledge than I do about all things that are guns, one of there handguns got a bullet stuck in the barrel and they took the bullet out of another loaded round, put kleenex tissue in the open end of the case, put that round into the gun and pulled the trigger...all was ok.

Hozz57 was there also...I ain't making this up.

Fuzzy
Sometimes you just gotta say Hmmmm...
bushymonster
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 204 Fluted 24" Match Grade Beauty

Post by bushymonster »

I lost my best friend and brother to cancer 20 years ago but we were out at the range one day and there were two young guys and I just happen to be watching them shoot a revolver. He shot three round really quick and I screamed at him and it shared the scit out of him but I had noticed his rounds were not hitting down range. It turned out they had bought the gun from a guy that sold them the reloading kit and all and they had loaded to light of loads and he actually had 4 bullets in the barrel. God had to be watching out for these dumb SOBs. When we were leaving the range they had picked up a steel rod from someone and a claw hammer and one was holding the gun and the other was pounding the heck out of it and I don't know if they got the lead out but I know I wouldn't shoot that gun.
Randy :?: :?: :?:
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

fuzzy wrote:I have seen this done with a pistol...TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Out shooting with some friends that have a ton more knowledge than I do about all things that are guns, one of there handguns got a bullet stuck in the barrel and they took the bullet out of another loaded round, put kleenex tissue in the open end of the case, put that round into the gun and pulled the trigger...all was ok.

Fuzzy
Not on a bet ........doesn't matter who was there. I know I wouldn't be.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

skb2706 wrote:
fuzzy wrote:I have seen this done with a pistol...TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Fuzzy
Not on a bet ........doesn't matter who was there. I know I wouldn't be.
First of all let me say that I would never do this :!: Fuzzy was just stating that we were both at this shoot. And when he states that these guys know what they're doing its because these guys are pros.(think "don't try this at home") Guns are their business. Also when the guy shot the stuck bullet out of the gun (.45ACP Revolver) he let everybody know what he was doing and had us stand clear of him while he did it.

If it were to happen to me in one of my rifles I would take my rifle to a gunsmith and have him remove the stuck projectile as I do not have drop rods and I can't afford to scew up any of my barrels(I prefer to burn my barrels out). Also I almost always take more than one firearm with me either to the range or boonies so I can keep on shooting if something like this were to happen.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!