Digital Scale Problem

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tic-Tac
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 low profile

Re: Digital Scale Problem

Post by Tic-Tac »

acloco,
Excellent suggestion. As you can see from the picture above, I have a sewing cabinet just to the right of the loading station and I will move the scale there and see what happens tomorrow when I conclude this loading session. My station is not as stout as it should be, certainly not near what yours is, and I think I under estimate the sensitivity of these scales.
Thanks.
Tic-Tac

Post by Tic-Tac »

acloco,
This may be a duplicate reply but I don't see the first one I sent. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that tomorrow. My station is not as stout as I thought it would be and I think I under estimate the sensitivity of these scales.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Tic - Post how you make out.

Of note, I "thought" mine would be sturdy enough.....rrrrwwwrongo!

Even with all the weight on mine, I am totally surprised.

It is not because I am swaging 50 cal bullets. Just the little bit of force that is transmitted from normal operations is sent to the scale.

I believe the next bench I make will be two pieces of 5/8 or 3/4" plywood, 4x4 legs, 4x4 everything else, AND bolt it to the floor and/or wall.

If I ever see a solid core or solid oak door, I will use that instead of the plywood.
Tic-Tac

Post by Tic-Tac »

It made a significant difference for the good...THANKS! Now I need to find a way to place the scale so it is in a convenient and efficient location, but as you can see, I am in cramped quarters. I forgot the Cardinal Rule...BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER!

I have a question on the lead content to use for casting, something I am just starting to do. It's for my larger caliber rifles, so I am not sure I can post it on this .204 site. ????????
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Tic-Tac wrote:
I have a question on the lead content to use for casting, something I am just starting to do. It's for my larger caliber rifles, so I am not sure I can post it on this .204 site. ????????

Go ahead ask. This is the General Reloading section and any question is valid.
You could post it in the 204 section and no one would poke you with a sharp stick. We're a pretty civil bunch of people here unlike some other forums.
Personally I don't know diddly about casting bullets though.

I use a MX 123 and an RCBS Chargemaster to throw the main charge when loading bulk.( Not often) Same setup as Silverfox minus the UPS component. For small batches I just use a beam scale then fine tune on the Denver.
I do not seat the bullets during the same operation. Just fill the cases in a loading block. This helps cut down on the movement on the bench.
I still see a bit of wandering from my Denver scale. The UPS Silverfox suggested is on my list of things to get.
I've seen the Denver perform at its best at 2.00 A.M. on cool evenings when the power grid is idling and the house quiet.

In my opinion its very important to get a main charge first. I've tried trickling from zero in the Denver and that will give it fits. Same with a cheapo Hornady digital I once tried.
If you use a powder drop you'll definately want it mounted to a differnt bench than the digital.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Tic-Tac

Post by Tic-Tac »

jo191145,
Thanks for the reply. This is a great, serious, forum. I have learned much valuable loading information just in the past few days that will be put to use. But I have taken way too much space on this topic and need to move on. I will post my question on casting as soon as I formulate an intelligent question...ha!

Thanks to all.
bushymonster
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 204 Fluted 24" Match Grade Beauty

Post by bushymonster »

I have the Lyman digital scale and it came with a 20 grain,I think it 20 grain weight and if it is getting off you hold the cal button down and then put the weight and push the cal button and it resets. I am nor familiar with Dillons. I know if the air conditioner is on I have to close the vent and if it's needs to be on something heavy that don't pick up any motion. I even noticed having the sterio on the vibration messes with it. Hope this might help.
Randy :chin: