How to choose your Redding Neck-sizer bushing?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
iKonic Status
.204 Ruger Guns: none...yet

How to choose your Redding Neck-sizer bushing?

Post by iKonic Status »

Hi Everyone,

I'm just on the brink of reloading for my .223rem and .308win but I'm not quite sure how to choose the correct bushings for my Redding Type S Neck-Sizing Dies.

I have lots of once-fired brass but in order to purchase the correct bushings and get reloading, I first need to load a dummy round (case with bullet head seated), and get the dimensions of the outside neck diameter.

This is all fine but i'm not able to seat and hold the bullet head into the case because the once-fired case now has a larger neck diameter from firing and will not hold/grip/support the bullet head.

What am I supposed to do here?? Really, I need a bushing to re-size the neck to hold the bullet head but I first need to get the neck outside diameter of a dummy round in order to help in choosing the correct bushing. I've never quite got this....seems rather chicken and egg situation to me. :yernuts: Please help.

Thanks in advance

Konrad :banana:
Ruger 77/22 .22lr

Savage 12 VLP .223rem

Howa/Hogue 1500 Varmint HB .308win
scootertrash

Re: How to choose your Redding Neck-sizer bushing?

Post by scootertrash »

Measure the neck thickness. Take that measurement X 2. Add in the bullet diameter. That will be your loaded size. Subtract .002-.003 for your bushing size. It is best to order a few sizes.

Let's use your .223 as an example. Say your brass neck thickness is .013. .013 x 2= .026 Add your bullet diameter of .224 and you have .250. You would order .247-.248 bushings.

No egg before the chicken.

Mike
Factory Custom
iKonic Status
.204 Ruger Guns: none...yet

Re: How to choose your Redding Neck-sizer bushing?

Post by iKonic Status »

scootertrash: Thanks for the help mate...this clears things up for me nicely :wtg:

All the best

Kon :banana:
Ruger 77/22 .22lr

Savage 12 VLP .223rem

Howa/Hogue 1500 Varmint HB .308win