General Reloading Questions

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
atavuss
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mkll

General Reloading Questions

Post by atavuss »

How much am I going to be saving if I buy reloading equipment? if for instance most factory .204 Ruger goes for over 1.00 a round what would an average price for a reload be?
I keep reading reloading components are hard to find, is this true? I don't want to buy all the reloading equipment and then find out I can't find the components I need.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: General Reloading Questions

Post by Hotshot »

I load for less than $.20 per round once I have the brass(204). I buy components in large quantities and never let my stash of supplies get too low. Over the decades that I have loaded I have seen shortages come and go. They always happen and they always go away.
If I didn't save anything I'd still load just for the satisfaction of fine tuning the ammo for the best performance.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Half the cost of buying loaded ammo...or less.

The "reloader's cycle" rides like this........

I reload to cut the cost of ammo.

I reload to cut the cost of ammo, therefore, I shoot more.

I buy new calibers, because I can shoot more and the cost of ammo is less.

I shoot more, but this takes time from reloading.

I reload more, but this takes time from shooting.

I reload less, but shoot more accurately.

I never buy new calibers unless I already have the equipment to reload them with.

I shoot less, but hit what I am aiming at.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

It will boil down to how much you normally shoot.... Reloading will allow you to shoot more for the same price over time....

That's after you have depreciated the cost of your equipment, based on a five year time line...Your initial expense will seem like you haven't saved anything, especially if you don't shoot much..

You have to factor in the cost of your reloading equipment and depending on the name brand, that can be a relatively little, or a lot. That's press, dies, powder scale, case prep tools, etc.... a lot of it can be had in some of the starter kits put out by the various manufacturers at a fairly low cost.

Then there is the cost of your actual reloading supplies.... Bullets, primers, and powders are one time use items... Brass can be reloaded numerous times, so it's cost has to be stretched out....hotter loads shorten the life, milder loads can allow more repeated use..

If you are usually shooting under 500 rounds per year, reloading may not be cost effective for you in the long run...If you normally shoot a hundred rounds, or more a month, than it might be cost effective to reload...

Right now, reloading material in some areas seems to be loosening up a little and I'm of the opinion it will get better, but I'm not 'wasting' what supplies I have and sticking to loads I know are accurate, rather than experimenting to find better loads...but I still shoot...

Looking at some cost figures,,,, A pound of powder will average about $20, that's 7000 grains and for most .204s @ 25gr per charge=280 rounds (.071per rd), 250 bullets are about $38 (.152 per rd), and primers can vary by dealer, but at $40 per 1000= 0.04 per round, so there is roughly $0.26 per round, plus the cost of your brass (reusable).... Spread out the cost of your reloading equipment over 5 years ($250 / 5 = $50 per year) and if you shoot 100 rounds per month that would equal $4.16 per month, or 0.04 per round added onto your supply cost, so $0.30 per round (still have your brass cost not in there)..Higher cost equipment will increase that figure, but not a lot...
AR
Factory/Factory
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Handloading to save money is like draining the lake with a spoon.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
otter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII

Post by otter »

Yeah, depending on how much you shoot, it may be a wash . . . BUT, the reloading equipment (less the dies) can be used for vrtually anything you shoot - you can fine tune loads for what you have, and not "have" to shoot factory ammo - reloading allows you to find the optimum load for YOUR guns - unless you reload to near max specs, you should be able to re-use your brass 5 to 10 times easily. There are, obviously, many more "reasons" to roll your own or to justify it, I have many times, just ask my wife. I got started reloading because I started shooting BPCR and blackpowder loads are not cheap, if you can find them. I was able to cast my own bullets, make my own wads and lube and load and shoot 100 rounds for less than $15. I have shot nearly 20,000 BPCR rounds in the last 12 years or so and still shoot the same brass I started with. It was only a natural progression to follow that into the smokeless realm of loading.

I'll agree with OldTurtle that you can load for a 204 Ruger for about 30 to 35 cents per round, including re-using the brass only 5 times . . . But, be forewarned, reloading is addicting . . .
I hope I can someday be the person my dogs think I am . . .
NRA Endowment member . . .
The only government I trust is my 45-70 Gov't . . .
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

skb2706 wrote:Handloading to save money is like draining the lake with a spoon.
I believe you mean; "it just feeds the habit" ;)

You do make a good point, especilally if you have a Dillon 650 like me. A conversion kit sets you back about another $75.00 these days on top of the dies. Still though, I think I'd rather reload than pay retail.

Jim
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

I have to admit that the concept of saving money sounds great and on paper it works out. Back in the day I used the very arguement to my significant other just to justify. 35 years plus, later I realized that any money I may have saved was used to buy more guns, dies, powder, bullets, primers, equipment, scopes, hunting trips, shooting excursions and more. Yea I saved money..............
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I realized that any money I may have saved was used to buy more guns, dies, powder, bullets, primers, equipment, scopes, hunting trips, shooting excursions and more. Yea I saved money..............
But, as far as the original question of reloading vs buying and shooting factory,,, you did save money... you just wasted it :D on other related items... :lol:
AR
Factory/Factory
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I still think I saved money AND became a better shooter, reloader, etc...in the process.

You will not shoot as many rounds, eventually, because you WILL hit what you aim at...the first time. See the PD Trip 8-9-09 for graphic detail.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Ok I just got back from a couple of days on the prairie. Probably shot 4-500 rds. that I would not have been able to afford if I was paying a buck a pop for ammo. So in that sense I saved money. Prairie dogs weren't feelin it.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

atavuss, are you any nearer deciding wether to reload or not after all that info? :eek: :lol: Cheers,KB.
' Pay it forward buddy '