Flash Hole Deburring/Uniforming Tool

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Flash Hole Deburring/Uniforming Tool

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I am curious to find out what kind of flash hole deburring tool you guys are currently using for preping your 17 & 20 caliber brass? I would also like to find out what interest if any exists in having a very high quality tool made for a very reasonable price? Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Flash Hole Deburring/Uniforming Tool

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'm using the K&M tool for .17, .20 and their universal tool for .224 and up. Reams the flash hole to the proper size along with beveling and reaming it at the same time. Works by hand or with power.

As Sinclair, K&M and others all make this tool already, no interest here for a "custom" offering. Other opinions may vary.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

1) RCBS: Cuts like a plastic knife. Only deburrs the hole, does not uniform it. Relies on case length uniformity for "correct" depth of cut. I don't like any of those 3 things. Perhaps the first thing is supposed to be that way to keep the user from going jap??

2) #2 center drill 6" long: Deburrs and unforms the hole. Relies on sense of feel or I slip the stopper from the RCBS tool on the shank. I like the first thing, and don't like the second.

3) I just buy Nosler brass now. Eliminates the need for that tool, LOL!

Sure, I'm a low dollar guy. 'Always interested in something that is good and affordable.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bow shot: The K&M tool has a positive stop at the end of the cutter shank. You cannot over cut the hole, as the shank bottoms out on the case web/bottom of case. Every case gets cut exactly the same, with a nice bevel and uniform flash hole diameter. I also hate tools that are "case length dependent", and therefore (to me) poorly designed.

The only bummer about the K&M tool is the crap handles they put on them. When I use mine by hand, I screw on a RCBS tool handle, otherwise I just chuck it up in my power screwdriver and it uniforms flash holes in short order without sore fingers. Sinclair has just re-designed one of their tools to reflect this superior design.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bow shot

Post by bow shot »

'on my "to get" list!!
wirelessguy2005

I have a friend who is in the business of making reloading tools for a very popular company(please don't ask who because i can't elaborate at this time). I am trying to gauge the interest in having him make some very good quality reloading tools that i can market. When i spoke to him the other day we discussed starting things out with a 17 and 20 caliber flash deburr tool. He showed me what the tool would look like. It would have a very nice machined handle, not the cheap plastic handle like most of the tools on the market. The best part is that it would be able to sell for just a bit more than the lesser quality tools that you see selling today. He is going to be getting one in my hands for testing within the next two weeks. At that time i will get some pictures uploaded so everyone can take a look. I already know without a doubt that the quality will be off the charts. I have looked at many of the tools that he has produced for other companies and they are absolutely amazing. Anyone that would potentially be interested please PM me and i will put you on the list for first dibs when they become available.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Best of success to you, this world always needs more gun stuff!!!
wirelessguy2005

UPDATE: i spoke with my friend who is building the flash hole deburr tools. He said he would have them in my hand for testing next week. For anyone that is interested in one please PM me.
Thanks
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Post by chuckhunter »

How much does it cost?? Or is he giving away free samples??? :D
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

chuckhunter wrote:How much does it cost?? Or is he giving away free samples??? :D
chuckhunter, I bet he has some free samples on the 1st of April. :lol:
' Pay it forward buddy '
wirelessguy2005

i will have some solid prices next week. I know they will cost a bit more than the K&M tool, however the quality will be much higher.

PS: I will be giving the free samples away on the second tuesday of next week. :lol:
chuckhunter wrote:How much does it cost?? Or is he giving away free samples??? :D
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Post by ultralightshooter »

I'm starting to get stuff together to start reloading so this is a newbie? What does the flash hole Deburring/uniforming tool do to the brass and do you use this tool on all rifle calibers?Thanks
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

ultralightshooter wrote:I'm starting to get stuff together to start reloading so this is a newbie? What does the flash hole Deburring/uniforming tool do to the brass and do you use this tool on all rifle calibers?Thanks
wirelessguy2005

as illustrated above the flash hole deburr tools cleans out the excess material left behind when the hole is punched, it also uniforms the hole. To start with i will only be offering two tools, one will be a .17 cal and the other a .20 caliber flash hole deburr tool. Later on i will be offering one for other calibers. Please PM if you are interested and i will add your name to the list of people who get first chance at them. Thanks
ultralightshooter wrote:I'm starting to get stuff together to start reloading so this is a newbie? What does the flash hole Deburring/uniforming tool do to the brass and do you use this tool on all rifle calibers?Thanks
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Wirelessguy,
What will be the diameter of the flash hole after 'uniforming' with the new tool? TIA.ken.
' Pay it forward buddy '