JB Bore Paste

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

JB Bore Paste

Post by ryutzy »

I am looking for JB Bore Paste. I have not used it before, but I've got a gun that's got some stubborn copper fouling. Where are you guys buying it? MidwayUSA and Natchez do not carry it.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: JB Bore Paste

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Brownells or Sinclairs.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Thanks Rick I'll check em out. Question on JB, is it best to do straight pass throughs with the patch or is it better/ok to do a back and forth motion (scrubbing) in the bore? I've been assuming it's ok to reverse the rod in the bore with JB but wanted someone's opinion.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

There is JB Bore Paste & JB Bore-Bright, make sure you get the one you want. If you have a Cabelas or like near by they probably sell it.

If you're trying to clean a stubborn bore one thing that has worked well for me is a product called "lead away". It is a thick yellow cloth and it works real well. Be advised though it will remove bluing.

HTH
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

I noticed the JB paste or cleaner is more aggressive than JB bore bright. I thought I may buy both so I have both depending on my needs down the road.

I am in the process of redoing my cleaning supplies etc. I would like recommendations on bore guides. I reload for 204, 22-250, 243, and 7MM. My 204 is an AR-15. Should I get a universal bore guide or one for each specific caliber? What brands do you all recommend?

Next question. Brass brushes or nylon? I have both currently but dont really have any good theorys as to which is better. I do know that some solvents can be hard on brass brushes. All you experienced professionals----I'd love to hear from you! Like I said I'm trying to add the best to my collection and throwing out the old less than the best rods, brushes, and tactics. LOL
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Caution: I'm not an "experienced professional" nor do I play one on firearms forums. :mrgreen:

I've come to really appreciate the Pro Shot cleaning rods....very well made, and less likely to get bent in the process of cleaning.....IMO.

I prefer brass brushes, and have had no problems resulting from their use......

I'm sure some of the "pros" will chime in as well. :P
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I, also am no professional either, nor do I claim to be such!

You may not need the J-B products for your barrel. You may just need a really good copper solvent, and some elbow grease.

Nylon brushes should be used when using a copper solvent, ammonia based,. Ammonia will eat up a brass brush, and thus will give indications of copper fouling when there may not be. My personal choice is CR10, for copper fouling.

Use a brass brush only with solvents not designed to clean copper out of a barrel. In reality, you DO need both, to do a good job cleaning the barrel.

As for cleaning rods, I use the Dewey rods,(caliber specific)

My bore guide is a Sinclair, W/solvent port, and interchangeable O-ring snouts, for both 204 & 223. I know some others on here prefer the Lucas bore guide. I, personally have never had any experience with them.

These are just some of my own personal choices for the task of keeping the "tools of the trade" in good shooting condition.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

I currently use Butches Bore Shine as my bore cleaner and I like it, but not real sure what to compare it with. I have been using it with brass brushes, which is probably not good. I do have a few nylon brushes, but not for all my calibers. I've got a Dewey rod and a Tipton Rod with a carbon fiber shaft on very sweet roller bearings. I really like this rod. The Dewey rods protective covering peels off if it hits anything mildy sharp so I prefer Tiptons carbon fiber shaft. Sinclair is out of stock on their bore guides (not happy) so I'm still looking for options.

Futuretrades-- The two barrels that I'm trying to clean up definately need a lil JB as they are copper fouled badly. Neither of the guns are mine, but I'm trying to help a buddy and my dad out.

Thanks for the comments and I hope to hear more from you all. RIO? what do you use?
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Well after doing some reseach online, looks like ill be ordering Lucas bore guides for all my guns. Lots of reviews on those bore guides and I haven't seen a single negative review yet.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

ryutzy wrote:Futuretrades-- The two barrels that I'm trying to clean up definately need a lil JB as they are copper fouled badly. Neither of the guns are mine, but I'm trying to help a buddy and my dad out.
As far as I know, JB products do the job they are designed to do. As a note, though, Get some CR-10 anyway. It is some stinky crap, but does the job for copper fouling. To me ammonia is some bad smelling stuff, but I will put up with the smell. CR-10 is only one of many copper solvents on the market. Needs to be used as directed. There are a lot of solvents out there that claim to clean copper fouling, but if you look at the ingredients in them, I don't really believe they will completely do the job! If you do do any amount of shooting with a rifle, sooner or later the accuracy will drop because of copper fouling. The 204 is one of the calibers that tend to get "coppered up" a little faster than larger calibers.

As for the Lucas bore guide, I have never heard anything but good about them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

I'll have to check out the CR-10 and compare it to Butches Bore Shine. Butches aint great smelling either.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Don't scrub back and forth with short strokes using JB Bore Paste, follow the directions on the jar. Use a loose fitting nylon brush (a worn one works or one that is a size small enough to allow the patch to easily pass down the bore) wrap a patch around it, oil the patch and rub the paste into it and pass it down the bore. Don't let the patch exit the muzzle, when it reaches the muzzle pull it back through, repeat. The JB will turn black - this is caused by the abrasive turning color, not from fouling being removed. If the patch exits the muzzle, remove it and the the rod, replace the patch and start again from the breech. After the recommended number of strokes, clean the bore with a few oiled patches and then dry patches. JB Bore Bright is a burnishing compound (similar to jeweler's rouge) and can be used to do a final polish. Be very wary of using JB Bore Paste when cleaning from the muzzle end, use a muzzle guide on rifles that can't be cleaned from the breech.

JB will not lap a rough barrel smooth, it just removes softer copper fouling from the bore. Fire lapping may improve a rough barrel, and a fire lapping throat maintenance kit will refresh a throat roughened by heavy use.

I used a lot of JB Bore Paste and Bore Bright before I discovered Bore Tech's Eliminator, CU+2 Copper Remover and C4 Carbon Remover. These solvents are non hazardous and really remove the fouling. It requires the use of their Proof Positive rods, jags and nylon bore brushes to eliminate the blue color on patches from copper leaching from brass ferrules or jags fooling us into thinking the barrel is still copper fouled. Bronze brushes also leach copper into the bore when using ammonia based copper solvents, so it is difficult to tell when the copper is gone.

There was a lot of discussion at one time about the effects of ammonia based solvents used on hot barrels, or on barrels that had not had the solvent neutralized before firing. The controversy was over the claim that ammonia could nitride barrel steel and cause accelerated erosion. Ammonia can harm barrel steel, and react with other chemicals, and is poisonous, so I just use the newer ammonia free products.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Wrangler John--Thanks for the tips on the JB Paste and Bore Bright. Since I have never used JB it was nice to have your detailed instructions. I plan on using the JB on a few guns next week to hopefully get those barrels back to a perfect clean. I have a few nylon brushes from Bore Tech, but I've got quite a few more on order.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

ryutzy wrote:I noticed the JB paste or cleaner is more aggressive than JB bore bright. I thought I may buy both so I have both depending on my needs down the road.

I am in the process of redoing my cleaning supplies etc. I would like recommendations on bore guides. I reload for 204, 22-250, 243, and 7MM. My 204 is an AR-15. Should I get a universal bore guide or one for each specific caliber? What brands do you all recommend?

Next question. Brass brushes or nylon? I have both currently but dont really have any good theorys as to which is better. I do know that some solvents can be hard on brass brushes. All you experienced professionals----I'd love to hear from you! Like I said I'm trying to add the best to my collection and throwing out the old less than the best rods, brushes, and tactics. LOL
-I would have figured JB Bore-Brite would be the more agressive cleaner of the two. In have used JB in the past on occasion and it works pretty good.

-For carbon removal I've used JB along with lead away patches. Recently, I purchased some Slip 2000 from Russ Haydon and it's great for carbon removal.

-For copper, I have quite a bit of Sweets 7.62 and Shooters Choice so until they are depleted I'll stick with them.

-For bore guides, I get mine from Russ Haydon and the are caliber and action specific ( believe they are Sinclair's). The down side is sometimes the solvents eat the small o-rings that keeps the solvent from the chamber area. A local hardware store usually cures that problem though.

-For brushes, I have both. For hard scubbing (when required) I'll use bronze or copper. For the lite stuff I use nylon. I suppose it depends on whether or not elbow grease is involved.

-For grease I use Tetra and for lube I like Break-Free (it appears to be a pretty good against rust).

HTH,
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Thanks for the input. I have now used JB on one gun and it seemed to do the trick well. According to JB the bore bright is a finer material compared to the JB Paste. I used the paste and finished up with bore bright. I think I will start using the bore bright quite frequently on my guns.