Case lube question.

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
roooster_11
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 .204

Case lube question.

Post by roooster_11 »

I like to use Imperial Sizing Die wax, I find it works the best, but it's a pain in the butt to rub all of the cases when I'm reloading a bunch of rounds. Anybody out there use this lube and have any suggestion or "tricks" that they use to save me from the hand cramps?
"If courage is a word that knows not fear, then I have never met a couragous man; a brave man is one that puts his fears aside, and does his job" Unknown
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Case lube question.

Post by RAMOS »

Blue paper towels from the auto-parts stores. If you are still fighting it, try a little Brakleen (brake cleaner) on the towel and let dry before loading.
roooster_11

Post by roooster_11 »

do you roll the cases like you would on the RCBS lube pad, or do you still have to rub the cases?
"If courage is a word that knows not fear, then I have never met a couragous man; a brave man is one that puts his fears aside, and does his job" Unknown
HeadLever
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Model 21

Post by HeadLever »

I will usually dump them into a baggie and then wax up my hands with the Imperial. Just run the brass over your hands and work them around the baggie. After a minute or so, they should all be ready to go. Works pretty well and the coverage is more even than you would think.

It does not take much, so go thin at first. You can always put more later if needed.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Another option to try: Lube on pointer finger and thumb. Spin case between thumb and finger, start on neck and stop about a third of the way down from case shoulder. Don't need a bunch and won't have to clean dies as often. Too much lube creates a bunch of clean-up and may wrinkle shoulder. Too little lube creates more than an inconvenience :)
roooster_11

Post by roooster_11 »

RAMOS wrote:Another option to try: Lube on pointer finger and thumb. Spin case between thumb and finger, start on neck and stop about a third of the way down from case shoulder. Don't need a bunch and won't have to clean dies as often. Too much lube creates a bunch of clean-up and may wrinkle shoulder. Too little lube creates more than an inconvenience :)
That's the way I'm doing it now, and the hand cramps that come with it suck!!!
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Sorry, Rooster! Maybe, try the other suggestion? With clean brass, I often just use Imperial Dry Neck Lube. Usually lube every third case, relying (sp?) on the residual graphite in the Redding Type-S die for the two dry cases. I've never had a stuck case doing this, but.........Sure could happen.
roooster_11

Post by roooster_11 »

thanks for the suggestions, I may try to put some wax on a non absorbant suface and roll the cases. We'll see.....I'll post results if I find something that works. I may try the baggie method that was suggested.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Rooster, I should have mentioned this: When doing the one-in-three method above, I'm also using a carbide expander buttton. Definately has less drag than the standard button. The graphite simply wipes off when done.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

If I'm full length sizing a large batch of cases, they are placed neck down in a MTM box, then a piece of cardboard is placed on top of the box. The box and cardboard is inverted and the box removed to leave the cases standing upright in rows, neck up. Then I spray the cases angling down with Hornady One Shot Case Lube. The cardboard is carefully turned 180 degrees and another shot is sprayed on (I have a cramped reloading bench otherwise just spray from the opposite side). The nozzle is held high so case lube enters the necks. After a minute the cases are placed in a bin and the next 50 processed, repeat until all cases are lubed.

One Shot is a dry lube and will not harm powder or primers. After sizing primer pockets are cleaned and the cases tumbled to clean the lube away.

If I'm using a new die, after cleaning the preservative oil out of the die it is either sprayed inside with One Shot, or the first few cases lubed with Hornady Unique Lube. This seasons the die to prevent sticking.

For neck sizing only, I lust use Imperial Neck Lube, dipping each case into the jar.

Simple! Easy and quick.
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

I use Imperial and apply it by rolling a dab in my palm and taking 3-4 cases at a time and rolling them in my hand with my fingers as I work the press applies enough to lube.. I`ve found that just handling the brass after rolling a few gets enough lube on them to prevent sticking.
If you use one of the 'spray on' lubes A buddy of mine showed me a trick using a gallon sized zip lock baggy. He tosses 50 or so cases in the bag then gives it a good shot of lube and shuts the baggy. Then rolls the brass around in the baggy on his bench to spread it evenly. Enough spray remains in the bag when he removed the brass to toss in another handful and roll and apply. You have to let the brass set in the air for a few minutes after lubing to make sure the carrier in the spray evaporates but he did about 80-100 cases in about 45/60 seconds this way and claims he hasn`t stuck a case since he started doing it.
roooster_11

Post by roooster_11 »

Good ideas! Thanks guys.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Ol` Joe wrote:I use Imperial and apply it by rolling a dab in my palm and taking 3-4 cases at a time and rolling them in my hand with my fingers as I work the press applies enough to lube.. I`ve found that just handling the brass after rolling a few gets enough lube on them to prevent sticking.
If you use one of the 'spray on' lubes A buddy of mine showed me a trick using a gallon sized zip lock baggy. He tosses 50 or so cases in the bag then gives it a good shot of lube and shuts the baggy. Then rolls the brass around in the baggy on his bench to spread it evenly. Enough spray remains in the bag when he removed the brass to toss in another handful and roll and apply. You have to let the brass set in the air for a few minutes after lubing to make sure the carrier in the spray evaporates but he did about 80-100 cases in about 45/60 seconds this way and claims he hasn`t stuck a case since he started doing it.
I do this same thing when prepping .223 brass for the progressive press. I use both RCBS spray case lube and the Dillon spray lube. It works really well.