PD scope

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
71KPB

PD scope

Post by 71KPB »

Need to purchase a scope for my CZ. How much power do i really need,16x,18x,24x. Want to be able to shoot out to 400yrds +. What is the range of the 204 with 39gr bk.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

24 will do fine for spotting them.

I look for the long shots at 20 power, but shoot with my scope on 12X. Why? I have a mildot scope and I know how much holdover (or under) I need to be at according to the scope at 12X.

May I suggest a 6-24x56 30 mm tube from http://www.nikkostirling.com, distributed by http://www.legacysports.com in the U.S. Fully multicoated lenses, side parallax adjustment, quick eye focus, mildots, etc, etc.

I really like their scope rings as well.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Nikon Monarch 6.5x20x44
71KPB

Post by 71KPB »

What do you think about these scopes. Burris Black Diamond or Signature, Ziess Conquest. Are the optic's that much better for the price. Is the mil dot good for PD's. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Ruger No. 1

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

71KPB wrote:What do you think about these scopes. Burris Black Diamond or Signature, Ziess Conquest. Are the optic's that much better for the price. Is the mil dot good for PD's. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Those are very nice scopes, if you can spend that kind of money you should take a look at leupold too. 8)
71KPB

Post by 71KPB »

I did consider the leupold VX lll, but i heard a few negitive things about them from other forums.
Hutch45

Post by Hutch45 »

I have a Burris Signature Select 4-16X44 and it is outstanding. I too heard the stories about Leupold not honoring their warranty and decided against them for that reason and their price.

I bought the Mil Dot Version, but IMHO it is not needed with the .204. You can sight it in to shoot to 300 yards with no problems. If you plan to shoot at 400 yds + then it might be justifiable.

With good quality optics you don't need as much magnification, but with a lot of power it will really shine on the bench. However, if you plan to hunt coyotes or anything else that moves you might want to consider the FOV on the low end. Based upon my experience anything beyond about 12-14X is not very useful in the field as mirage is a limiting factor.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Whoaa there....Leupold NOT honoring their warranty? I smell a rat there buddy. I've got 32 Leupolds, yes, 32. This includes scopes, bino's and spotters. Since I got back to The World in '68, I've been a solid Leupold customer, have sent in many scopes to the factory, and have NEVER had a problem with their service. In fact they continue to impress me with their service.

Here's one for you: While elk hunting a few years ago, a buddy came into camp, got his rifle out of his truck to have it handy in the late afternoon while parking his trailer. He leaned his rifle w/Leupold against the right rear tire, then proceeded to yak around the campfire a while. When he finally decided to move his truck and trailer into position, he had forgotton about his rifle being there. He ran over it TWICE before one of us yelled at him to stop. The scope was bent, lens broken, etc. It was worthless for that hunt. Good thing he had a backup '06 with him, as the .338 was NOT in good shape.

When he returned home, he sent the scope to Leupold, told them the story, and about a week later, HE RECEIVED A NEW SCOPE! No invoice, no questions, just a spanking new scope in the box. Now, try that with Burris, Weaver, or the other good USA makers, let alone one of the cheapies such as Simmons, BSA, Trashco, or the others.

I do not know of any other scope company with a better warranty OR service policy. If someone else does, I'm all ears. I think some fools on other forums bad mouth Leupold's because either they can't afford them and have a pouty attitude, or "my buddy's friend's brother told me......" (You want expensive....? Check out Zeis, Kahles, Nightforce, etc.)

Oh, and one more thing.....how may scope companies will put custom bullet drop/trajectory dials for YOUR load on their scopes? Or laser engrave your dials or scope body with virtually anything you desire? Change reticles, scope finish, add target dials, etc. That's service.

By the way, all my rat rifles wear 6.5-20X's, 6.5-18's, or 4-12's...my coyote rifles usually wear a 2.5-8X or 3.5-10X.....off the bench or off the bipod/sticks, you can always turn down the power if mirage is bad, but you can't get more power if it's not there. Low range power is best for called in dogs.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks for your comments, Rick - I couldn't say it any better.

I've been using Leupolds since the mid 60's, and after trying a few other brands, would not buy anything else. I don't have quite as many as Rick, but all my guns wear them.

I never ran over one with a truck, but I did drop one and broke a lens - they sent me a new scope, no questions asked.

Who out there has personally experienced problems with their service?
Ruger No. 1

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

DANG IT RICK! you are making me want a Leupold for the #1. :lol:
scootertrash

Post by scootertrash »

Another vote for Leupold. I have just ordered my 5th VX II 6-18X 40 AOT since March. It is going on the Vartarg, and will be the 17th Leupold I've purchased.

Mike
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

No.1: My Number One Varmint (223 Rem) has a Leu 6.5-20X with target adjustments and a 4" sunshade... Looks like a real rat killer. PM me with your email and I'll send you a pic if you want.

My Ruger No.3 in 17 Ackley Hornet (Pac-Nor SS Super Match/B&C synthetic stock) wears a Leu 6-18X set up the same way.....another rat wacker. Pics ifin' you want 'em.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

71KPB

Post by 71KPB »

Thanks for all the info guys, I just picked up a Nikon Monarch 6.5-24x44 ao. Hope it helps me do the job.
71KPB

Post by 71KPB »

What are you zeroing your guns at 100yrds, 200yrds.
Ruger No. 1

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

71KPB wrote:Thanks for all the info guys, I just picked up a Nikon Monarch 6.5-24x44 ao. Hope it helps me do the job.
Good Choice! should work great for you! 8)