New scope choice?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
RUD
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper model 21 phoenix

New scope choice?

Post by RUD »

Hello Everyone! New member to this site, but have been veiwing for short time as a guest. Just received a new Cooper Jackson Squirrel rifle in 17 HMR. I am considering a Leupold VXIII 3.5x 10x 40 or Sightron II Big Sky 3.5x10x42. Most of my shooting will be targets and small game to about 75yds. or so. I have had great luck with Leupolds, but I am hearing great things about the Sightrons. All comments will be appreciated. Thanks RUD! P.S. my current arsenal includes 6 LEUPOLD, 2 BURRIS,1Redfield,1 Mueller, and 1 Bushnell.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: New scope choice?

Post by OldTurtle »

I have two Sightrons.... #1 - a 4-16x MilDot on my .204 AR, and #2 - a 3-12 Duplex on one of my .223 ARs...

The 4-16x, I've had for several years and the 3-12x I just installed and waiting to sight it in.

IMHO, both are excellent scopes for the mid-range price point..........great clarity and stable as far as adjustment and return to point of aim...
AR
Factory/Factory
Manna13
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12

Post by Manna13 »

RUD

Post by RUD »

I guess not many have an opinion on these scopes? I tried the Mueller on my last new rifle and just not sure it has the quality I am used to. I am scared to spend the money on the Sightron after this last experience. There doesn't seem to be many at the dealers in my area, so I may have to buy the leupold by default. Thanks for those who replied ,RUD.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RUD: I'm a dedicated and biased Leupold user, but have heard good things lately about Sightron from some of the very picky BR shooters. If those guys like them, that's a good endorsement in my book.

There's an interesting article about them in this months Precision Shooting Magazine by Dick Wright, a longtime BR shooter. Might be worth checking out.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RUD

Post by RUD »

Thanks Rick! I have seen you are a advid user of Leupold . I honestly can't disagree with your choice! With money being tight right now, I was looking for another option, but I always seem to regret buying anything but Leupold. I have a lead on a local 4.5-14x 40 VXIII , I may decide to jump on it.Thanks for the comments, RUD.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I don't have any experience with them but a couple of folks that do really speak really high of them. The only advice I can give about optics is buy the best you can afford, and if need hold off to get a higher quality if need be.

Jim