Bought a new Leupold scope for my 280AI.

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
varmit_master
.204 Ruger Guns: TC 204

Bought a new Leupold scope for my 280AI.

Post by varmit_master »

I bought a new Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed Long Range 280AI. A 1@8 twist 26-inch barrel. I put a VX6 HD 4x24x52mm TMOA reticle. I like the dail system on Leupold. I hope that is a good one? I bought the setup for bear hunting. Next spring in Idaho or Montana hopefully. Planning on using a heavier bullet.
Hornady ELD M 180 gr
Hornady ELD X 175 gr
Berger 168gr Classic Hunter
Berger 175 gr Elite Hunter.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Bought a new Leupold scope for my 280AI.

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well then VM, lack of suitable optics will not be an issue with your new rifle, neither will choice of caliber. That should be a very nice rig.

Although I do not hunt or kill bears, having almost a second life with them when I worked in logging camps on the big island in BC. I've had about 30 close-up and personal encounters with them up there over the years, even one that wanted in my house when I lived in Nimpkish Camp BC back in the early 70's. My 3 yr old son was sitting with him, a yearling in the back yard of my company house, sharing his orange with the cub. :eek: When I called my son to the house, the cub followed and almost got in the door of the mud room. Those were "the days", and just one of many encounters. Working at night at the landing generated many close encounters of the bear-kind.

But back to being OT....here's what a nice big black looks like up close....just for your edification (as if you needed it. :lol: )

Post up a pic of the finished rifle, and of course, your best braggin' group. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I go along with Rick in that being a fine choice of cartridges. And leupold scopes are never a bad choice either, you will enjoy that rifle.
Also has Rick alluded, close contact with Black bears or even larger ones like the Griz, can be fun and also a little on the exciting side.
Even in my N.E. mountain area of California I run into them every year, either out hunting or right in my home, on the mountain, yard. Have had them right up as close as 12 ft, more than once. Fun times.
In years past I did shoot a few, some with Bow and some with rifle, but now days I just like to see and watch them wherever they pop up. :D
Good black bear - Copy.jpg
Good black bear - Copy.jpg (34.9 KiB) Viewed 740 times
Here is a example of a light colored one in the front yard a few times back on trail camera I keep around for night time critters, while I sleep.
varmit_master
.204 Ruger Guns: TC 204

Post by varmit_master »

Took my wife on her first bear hunt last yr. First day of season. 2nd bear of the morning . She shot it before 7:15:am. She bought that new crossbow for me. Because I hurt my shoulder/neck. I never did used it. She was the only one. She shot it at 23 yards. We was setting on the ground. That was a big bear for Arkansas .
Attachments
My wife's first bear hunt.
My wife's first bear hunt.
Screenshot_20230918_174706_Messages~2.jpg (463.66 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Great photo of her and her bear. She is one happy camper, from the looks of it. Thanks for sharing. :)