Talley Mounts for Cooper M21

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Talley Mounts for Cooper M21

Post by Bodei »

Just ordered a one-piece Talley base (950749 1” high) for my Cooper since DNZ doesn't make one. Does anyone have experience with these on a Cooper? Never have been a fan of the Leupold system. I will be mounting a Zeiss Conquest 6.4-20x50
K = ½mv2
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Talley Mounts for Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

If you are talking about the one that is almost identical to the DNZ, I have not. I do have the Talley set that the base is also the bottom half of the rings but front and rear are seperate. They are on a Cooper Model 21, 204R. They have been super. I like the better access to the loading port. Used to be that I had one piece bases on all my rifles for the added strength. I finally decided that it was the actions' job to prevent flex and ensure accuracy. That being said, I do believe that the entire Talley line has exceptional quality.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Bodei wrote:Just ordered a one-piece Talley base (950749 1” high) for my Cooper since DNZ doesn't make one. Does anyone have experience with these on a Cooper? Never have been a fan of the Leupold system. I will be mounting a Zeiss Conquest 6.4-20x50
I'm not a fan of the Leupold STD rings/bases and other imitations either, Bodei. And I don't consider it sacrilege to put Weaver-style or Talley Lightweights on a Cooper as I have a couple with 'em on myself. They work quite well, although the mediums on my Model 21 might have had the mounting holes on one bored out of alignment with the plane of the ring section. I didn't leave them on long as I went to a 50mm objective scope and needed higher ones, which brings up another point: are you sure the high Talleys are actually 1" high? The Talley website shows the 950749 highs as being .600, which with my calculations - assuming the o.d. of the Zeiss' objective bell is 56mm as claimed - will leave the scope touching the barrel. Even the .700" extra-highs won't give much clearance. My Minox objective o.d. is 4mm larger, so I went with some Warne bases and am still trying some different brands of high Weaver type rings for a tad bit more height than the Tally LW extras.
Bodei

Post by Bodei »

I e-mailed Talley and those are what they told me to get, but I won't be surprised if they don't work...
K = ½mv2
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Yeah, I re-checked and, as long as that Zeiss isn't much over 56mm they should work; it'll be close, though if those highs are .600. Didn't realize there was that much difference between our scopes' bells. I apologize for any needless concern, and enjoy that Cooper/Zeiss combo - it's a good one.
Bodei

Post by Bodei »

Thanks I was worried for a bit there. I knew it was going to be close. Now just hoping for a good cheek weld/sight alignment. The glass is super nice and I'm liking the reticle.
K = ½mv2