weaver kaspa

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

weaver kaspa

Post by brokeasajoke »

just scored a sweet deal on a kaspa. Never had experiance with them. This is gonna go on my Armalite 243 build. 4-16x44. Any of you guys had experiance with these? I know weaver makes a good product just not sure about these cheaper kaspas but at $113 im happy either way.
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

Re: weaver kaspa

Post by brokeasajoke »

Update. pretty good glass for the money in my opinion. High power not as clear as I like but plenty acceptable to me for the price. For me side focus was set about 120yds on scope at about 100yds. Printed 1.18 group with rem 80gr rifle express ammo with Armalite 243 freefloat tube and factory two stage trigger. Im happy with the purchase so far but time will tell about its durability. we'll see if it holds zero well or not. conclusion, i would purchase one again when needing a scope but money is tight.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I have been looking at the Kaspa side focus alluminated rectical myself. It gets great reveiws. I am trying to finish up a ar 15 6.5 grendal build. I need my shilen barrel and the rest i pretty much have. Keep me posted on the Kaspa. I put a inexpensive Nikon prostaff 6-12x on my last AR. I have to say I am nothing but pleased. It holds zero excellent. I just ordered a nikon buckmaster 6-18x from midway onsale for my 30-06 700 BDL. I cant wait to see how it performs. Nikon makes top of the line cameras, so they should have optics figured out. Weaver has been around forever!
n4ue
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by n4ue »

Not to be a 'downer', but of all the scopes recently purchased, the Kaspa is at the bottom of the heap. If you think it's a good deal, that's fine.
Ya just get what you pay for, as usual. I mounted it, sighted it in (on a new .17 WSM, Savage), and took it right off.

Yeah, Weaver's been around a long time, but these are low end Chinese scopes. I have a lot of 'high end' Chinese scopes (is that an oxymoron?) that run circles around it.
A Redfield Revenge 6-18 is waaay better. but 2X the price.
I have been very, very happy with my Vipers, Milletts, Muellers, a Hawke, and this week a Nikko Stirling 6-24 Targetmaster.
I have found that below around $250, the scopes are not too impressive.

One comment (FWIW), I regularly take several scopes to work, where we have a private range and several seasoned shooters. One clear, bright Florida day, I took a brand new Nikon Monarch 4-16X42 SF along with some 'bargain' jobs. NO ONE was impressed by the Monarch. Nothing really wrong, just wasn't impressive for the $. WHAT was impressive to the guys, was a Wal Mart Center Point for $70. No, it's not a high quality piece but everyone agreed that for their style of hunting, it was excellent, especially at the end, when I disclosed the prices of them all.
I have a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 on my .17 Savage 93R17 TR (.17 HMR), and it's a good combo.

Hard to believe, but it wasn't just my old eyes!! ha ha
My Savage M12 in .204 wears a Vortex Viper 6-20X56 SF, which I like so much, 3 of my other varmint rifles wear the same scope.

ron
Storeyteller
.204 Ruger Guns: Frankenstein ar

Post by Storeyteller »

If the scope does what you want it to do and you think you got a good deal on it...you got a good deal.

FWIW, I like the Nikon Buckminster 6-18. I have 2 and they are pretty sweet. Not impressed at all with the Vortex Viper 6-20x50 I recently bought as an "upgrade" though. The Buckmaster is clearer IMO and clicks in just as true when using a ballistics calculator. Maybe I got a bad one, but I'll never find out. YMMV.
n4ue
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by n4ue »

Hi, funny how different people 'favor' different scopes. I usually get every 'opinion/review' I can find on a particular model, before putting down my $. Reading the reviews on Midway, the Viper is highly rated. However, I've come to the conclusion that in the end, the only opinion that matters is my own.... ha ha
To that end, I purchase all my new scopes from a retailer that will 'take them back'. Likewise, a lot of folks don't care for the "Sportsman's Guide", but I've had excellent service from them.
When I bought the new Savage 93R17 TR (,17 HMR), it had the Buckmaster already mounted. Having been so disappointed with a New Monarch, I really didn't want it. However, the shop wouldn't drop the price very much, so I just bought it as-is.

So far, I like the Buckmaster a lot. Strange you didn't like the Viper. One other make that I like is Millett, I have several of the huge LRS-1s (35 mm tube) jobs and they are great. Size is of no concern, since most of my shooting is at paper, off a bench. I love reloading (35 ctgs) and do a lot of load development.

Lastly, I bought a Fujinon 3.5-10X50mm for one of the boss' rifles. It's optical quality is fantastic. Fuji is a large optic co, that made a short test into the rifle scope world. Too bad, they are great scopes. I believe now their speciallity is Medical, TV camera lens, etc.

regards,

ron