Am I on track with this scope purchase?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
mpstan
.204 Ruger Guns: None yet

Post by mpstan »

Just finished getting my new Remington 700 .204 restocked and bedded. Looking for glass for it now; intended use will be PD shooting and paper. This is a new venture for me so I'd appreciate insights. I was thinking $500 for my scope budget and was narrowing down into the 6-20 x 40 type scopes but I found a Nikon Monarch 6-24 x 50 for sale locally for $495, used twice at a range: http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-monar ... copes.html

It has a Nikoplex reticle and includes external taller turrets I'm told. Assuming the scope is in good shape what do you think of the choice? Will I be happy with 6-24 with my 204? I see the scope for $579 new.

Thanks for the help!
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: Am I on track with this scope purchase?

Post by Jim White »

I had this scope once and on a bright clear day from 6-18 power it was as good. Beyond that, the best way I can describe it is it seemed hazy.

HTH
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

I had a Monarch in 5-20x and it, too seemed "hazy" at higher power. In sunlight - even with a sunshade - forget it, the whiteout was so bad. Sold it for a Minox 4-20x50mm and couldn't be happier, plus my group size went down on my .204 Cooper. Somewhere on this site there's an old thread about Nikon and how they've "sinned" against their buyers. I'd stay away from the newer ones; the old ones were okay and I'd love to find a 5-16x "Titanium" model.
I'd look at the Vortex Viper or the new Leupold VX-2 in that price range...
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

mpstan wrote:Will I be happy with 6-24 with my 204?
I can't offer any insights on the Nikon, but that magnification range in general should suit you well. I don't use more than ~18x on PD shoots, unless it's early or late enough in the day that heat waves aren't causing issues with my sight picture at higher magnification.

Are you planning to dial turrets for your shots or use the scope's reticle? Either way, I've been very happy with Leupold scopes utilizing the varmint hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

mpstan: I'd suggest a scope in the same price range, but with a much better/different warranty.....a Leupold VX2 with their LR Varmint Reticle....duplex reticle with two lower hash marks for LR. The Varmint Hunter Reticle is only available in their VX3 scopes, about another $100 more than the VX2.

You'll also find the VX2 is much brighter and clearer than the current Nikons......I noticed the difference right away. You may find the LR Varmint reticle available on the shelf (no Custom Shop work) in their VX2 6-18X, which is plenty for most any varminting chores, even PD shooting. And if you go Leupold, you'll have the best warranty in the business, which is a big deal these days.
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TC Encore204
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore

Post by TC Encore204 »

I have a Nikon 6-18 buck masters which I do like. It has the BDC reticle and target knobs and side focus. However last year I got a VX-2 6-18 with the cds dial and I love it. Very clear and bright and good contrast for finding the small nor cal squirrels. I love it so much I just ordered another one. They are usually $550 but have got them both for $500. I'd not hesitate to go with the VX2.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:mpstan: I'd suggest a scope in the same price range, but with a much better/different warranty.....a Luepold VX2 with their LR Varmint Reticle....duplex reticle with two lower has marks for LR. The Varmint Hunter Reticle is only available in their VX3 scopes, about another $100 more than the VX2.
I didn't realize (read: pay enough attention) that the LR Varmint and Varmint Hunter were two different reticles. I just looked at the LR Varmint reticle and now see the obvious differences. Given Leupold's outstanding warranty coverage, I would advocate looking around for a previously loved VX-III with the Varmint Hunter reticle. I believe the glass on a VX-III is comparable to the current VX2 lineup, and I really favor the Varmint Hunter reticle. The wider hash marks with wind dots come in very handy in PD fields.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Good point there, Mike....re: older VX-III with the VHR, the best purpose-designed reticle for varmint shooting I'm aware of.....got about seven of 'em myself (good stuff!). :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I love my Leupold 4.5-14X's with vh reticle and I have one 6.5-20X that I use at 14X in the dog towns and 20X on the bench for load testing. I find this reticle effective to 600 yards in the field.
I must say, though, I got a Burris E1 in 6.5-20X on a trade and mounted it on my 204AI w/1:10 twist. The reasoning is that the E1 reticle has more lines and therefore could be effective to 800 yards. The glass is not as good as a VX-3 for sure, but so far I have no bad eye strain or head aches from this scope as I did with a previously mentioned brand in this post. For a moderately priced scope with a reticle that is better than the VH check out an E1.
mpstan
.204 Ruger Guns: None yet

Post by mpstan »

Funny thing; called an old friend on my way to pick up this scope and caught him at our local gun shop. He told me the same thing one of you guys said: he sometimes tries to go out to 20x with his scope but then usually backs off to 18. He persuaded me to change course, come back and take a look at another scope.

Long story short, I'm now a member of what I once thought to be the "snobby" family of Leupold owners. Picked up a new VX-2 6-18x40 with a target reticle for just a few more dollars than I was ready to spend on the Nikon. It was on sale so I feel that I at least didn't get totally beaten up. My gunsmith says he can get some target turrets from Stoney point for it.

Not quite what I was thinking but I'm excited to get it on my 204 and get it dialed in.

Thanks for the help everyone
ozfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by ozfox »

i have vx3 6.5 20x 50 on my cooper day or night i love it
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I have a leupold vx3 with the varmint hunters reticle for sale.....just what you need. http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 14&t=10239
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable