Scope for heavy recoil

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

Scope for heavy recoil

Post by brokeasajoke »

Looking for a scope to handle a heavy recoil situation. Lets say a 338lapua maybe. A higher power is preferable maybe 20x plus.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Scope for heavy recoil

Post by Rick in Oregon »

With that kind of recoil impulse, depending on the weight of the weapon in question, your choices are somewhat limited to two brands: Nightforce and Leupold, both of which of course offer tactical scopes Mil-Spec designed and manufactured for that expressed purpose.

Let us see it when it's finished......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

US Optics would be another option.

How much do you want to spend on a scope? That's usually the best starting point.
brokeasajoke

Post by brokeasajoke »

may be trading my rem 700 7mm ultramag Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation Ed. (11rds down the tube) on it plus a little cash. Savage 111 long range hunter. I was looking at hawke on CRT site. This is still up in the air based soley on cost of project even though the 111 is affordable its the cost of everything else. Seen several people using swfa SS and vortex but was really looking at $500 or less. Yes i know buy a 308 take the extra money and put it on a good scope. I love my leupy on my 204 (8.5-25x50 tgt dot) but at a grand its just not an option right now unless i want to trade another gun (out of the question). May did a little more. With the muzzle brake it is described as a comparable to a unbraked 300winmag.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike wrote:US Optics would be another option.
Wow, right you are, Mike...how could I forget about them :doh: . They'll also be at the top end of the price scale, but that also illustrates "you get what you pay for".
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

brokeasajoke wrote:may be trading my rem 700 7mm ultramag Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation Ed. (11rds down the tube) on it plus a little cash. Savage 111 long range hunter. I was looking at hawke on CRT site. This is still up in the air based soley on cost of project even though the 111 is affordable its the cost of everything else. Seen several people using swfa SS and vortex but was really looking at $500 or less. Yes i know buy a 308 take the extra money and put it on a good scope. I love my leupy on my 204 (8.5-25x50 tgt dot) but at a grand its just not an option right now unless i want to trade another gun (out of the question). May did a little more. With the muzzle brake it is described as a comparable to a unbraked 300winmag.
In that case,you could put the leupy on the Savage and buy a Hawke 6.5-20x42 30mm tube and iluminated red/grn with 1/2mil dot.Great on the 204s
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Because I look at these items when I consider building a rifle.....have you considered (over what you have now):

Cost per box of factory ammo?
Cost per round to reload (brass, bullets, powder)?
How far you REALLY will be shooting this caliber?

In my opinion, and the opinion of my wallet, the 338 Lapua has NOTHING over a 338 RUM, except cost of ammo and brass. I built a 338 RUM, specifically for, true, long distance shooting - longest one shot deer to date - 2186 yards.

In my other long shooting experience, at a grand or less, my 7 Rem Mag gets the call on deer sized game running 162 gr AMax.

Over 1K? 300 Win Mag with 208 AMax - absolute, unmolested, and untuned...factory Savage 112, single shot, BVSS-S - always shoots 1/2 to 2/3 MOA at any distance covered thus far.

Your RUM, with 175 gr Bergers, would be nothing short of superb. If your current rifle has too much recoil, add a muzzle brake - google "painkiller" - they work.....and don't hiss or whistle.

Of note, the above mentioned 338 RUM, with a Rock Creek stainless barrel, has over 1500 rounds down the tube, and is STILL accurate. We are coating the bullets with Danzac/WS2. The 338 Lapua chambered barrels, only get 800-1000 rounds down the tube. Imagine Danzac/WS2 or HBN (nickel boron) would help any caliber though.

Don't take the above as criticism, but REAL experience on game...and shooting IN the wind.
brokeasajoke

Post by brokeasajoke »

Never shot the RUM. Been in my safe at least 8 years. The 338 is more of appeal than anything. I have never shot any barrel out and probably wont that one. However what i have been doing is weeding out guns i never shoot for ones that i will at least a little bit like my hammerforged spiral 10/22 unfired i traded on my armalite ar10 243. and my intratec in favor of a .22mag rossi revolver, my old savage 17 for a 93r17btvs and so on. nikon monarchs are advertised as "recoil proof" i think I'm going to find out. A 5-20 is just under $500 but i may spring for 24x or 32x.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Broke - AH.....makes sense then.

Take care.
brokeasajoke

Post by brokeasajoke »

Well a savage 111 long range hunter in 338 followed me home. wow this thing is light. Great factory trigger though. found a monarch 8-32 for $500 may check it out
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

brokeasajoke wrote:found a monarch 8-32 for $500 may check it out
I don't have any experience with Monarch scopes, but you may want to do a bit of reading before jumping on one. Several forum members have voiced complaints about those Nikons.
derbyking
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper phoenix

Post by derbyking »

Id spring for a better scope for a lapua.Two great choices under a grand are the vortex pst and sightron s3. I have a s3 long range moa2 on my savage 338 lapua hs.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I trust Nikon. I have leupold as well. Both in my opinion are great glass!
brokeasajoke

Post by brokeasajoke »

Prob go with Vortex Viper. Sold 111lrh so im gonna look for a 110 fcp 338 now. Its just money i guess you cant take it with you. lol