give me some vortex info

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

give me some vortex info

Post by brokeasajoke »

Thinking about trying a vortexx viper. Read all over the net about how great they are for the price. Going on my 338LM savage 110fcp hsprecision. Anyone had experiance good or bad. Thinkin the 6.5-20x50.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Re: give me some vortex info

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have 4 Vortex scopes, two 6.5-20X44 scopes. One on a 204 and one on a 20 VarTarg. They are great scopes for shooting sage rats and prairie dogs. Good clarity and brightness. They have an unconditional guarantee and great customer service. I sell a bunch of them at the sporting goods store I work at. You can get customized turrets for them as well, just put one on a 204. Great value. Not as good as the top Leupold but much less expensive for comparable scopes. Move up to the PST and HS scopes and then the difference is even smaller.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
brokeasajoke

Post by brokeasajoke »

Thanks. They seem to have a good reputation.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I only have one. Same scope you are looking at except it has the smaller objective lens. It is on a 204R and has been in service for a little over three years. It's on my "truck gun", so it certainly has not been babied and has had absolutely zero issues. The eye relief is not quite as forgiving as my Leupolds but not really a problem either. For the money, they are a very good value, IMHO.
Hondo83
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700

Post by Hondo83 »

I have 3 Vortex Vipers. 2 6.5-20x50's and a 6.5-20x44 and they work great the 50's are on a pair of 204s and the 44 is on a Tactical 20. They have made 3 trips up and back to Oregon Calif boarder and kept zero both ways. They are very clear and side focus is the way to go. IMHO you can't go wrong with the Viper. I have recently acquired a Hawke sidewinder 30 6-24x56 and am testing it out which so far has been good at the range but still needs some field testing before I can say its as good, better, or worse than the Vortex.
smbob
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by smbob »

I'm currently running a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44mm with a dead hold BDC on my CZ 204 Ruger 527 Varmint. Decent scope.
Not in the class of the Viper, but more than adiquate for the shooting that I do. When I can afford it I plan on updating to a Viper. This is the first Vortex scope I have owned and I'm loving it the more I use it!

Robert
Last edited by smbob on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThaDoubleJ
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FCV

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

I have a Viper PST on my 18" AR. I dropped it off the rifle, mounted in a Burris QD, from about mid-thigh. Didn't even lose zero, and Vortex CS was great, even though I never ended up sending it in. The zero stop is brilliant. The glass is very good, not quite like my Sightron, but I have zero complaints.
Take me to your Pdogs
brokeasajoke

Post by brokeasajoke »

I know this is an old thread and i read here and dont post a lot. Just thoight id give an update. Ended up with a weaver superslam euro 5-20x german ret. Midway had a sale and weaver a $100 rebate so final was $400 shipped. Weaver rep said it is designed to with stand the recoil of magnums including the lapua. So i went with it. Nice so far. Dont know if my shoulder is designed for the recoil though lol
dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Post by dan97526 »

I had a Viper 6.5-20x44. Really nice glass for the money and built like a tank. I don't think there's a better price-to-quality ratio optic than Vortex. However, I got rid of it because I found the mil-dot reticle to be too thick for sage rat hunting.

Midway has a great price on them right now, under $300. HTH

Dan

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Post by dan97526 »

Should have read the ENTIRE thread before posting! Glad you got a good scope.